New Campus Ministry Course – Campus Ministry Service

The small number of spaces available for the Campus Ministry class limits the amount of students able to enroll.  Fortunately, for students who were unable to make the Campus Ministry course, Ms. Dawn Brannman, the director of Christian Services, recommended the development of the new course—Campus Ministry Service.

The new class’ purpose is to “emphasize service, liturgy, retreats, and tonhelp out a lot with Light Groups,” said Ms. Brannman.  Not only will the students help to plan and organize the Light Groups, but they may also lead them next year.

The class hopes to give service on and off campus. Just as the freshmen go to Saint Vincent DePaul, there are plans to have sophomores serving at inner-city Catholic schools. Eventually there will be service for juniors also.

“I proposed formation of the class two years ago, but after talking to Mrs. Egan, we decided to wait for another year,” Ms Brannman said.

The students plan to organize Advent and Lent drives and other service projects.  “Even just the counting of money from drives takes an entire class period,” said Mrs. Brannman. “They’ll also be making posters and videos for school service projects, but will not take over any other responsibilities of current Campus Ministry class.”

“I proposed the class because I love student involvement,” Ms. Brannman explained.  “The students will participate in peer ministry, which helps me with a lot.”

Also, this class opens up more service opportunities.  Since it is a Senior religion class, the students already have their service hours finished, but the upcoming class still received more than eighty applicants for the upcoming school year.