Unveiling Saint Patrick: Tracing the Rich History of the Iconic Saint 

The iconic Saint celebrated on March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day.

Festive parties, the color green and Irish music. What holiday comes to mind? St. Patrick’s Day! While the festive holiday is one to celebrate, does everyone really know the history behind the St. Patrick and interesting history? St. Patrick, the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland, is celebrated worldwide every year on his feast day, March 17th. Each year, many honor his life and the contributions he made to Christianity. While his contributions and life are often overshadowed by the festivities of St. Patrick’s Day, the iconic Saint has an intriguing story and rich history. 

St. Patrick was born in Britain to a Romanized family. When he was 16 years old, Irish raiders kidnapped him from his home and were carried into slavery in Ireland. He spent six years there where his job was to tend sheep. During these hardships, he became deeply devoted to his faith in God through constant prayer. 

In about 208 AD, he had a dream where he escaped enslavement. Later, a voice promised him his way back home to Britain, eager to escape he convinced sailors to let him board their ship. After sailing for a few days and wandering around France, Patrick reunited with his family. 

Attempting to get his life back together post-slavery, he studied and entered the priesthood leading him to be ordained a deacon during 418 AD. Soon after, he had another vision to return to Ireland and convert them to Christianity. He was ordained a bishop and sent by Pope Celestine I to spread the word of God and to support the small community of Christians that were already established in Ireland. 

To become a Saint, one must perform a miracle. St. Patrick performed the miracle of driving out the snakes of Ireland into the sea which is not commonly known amongst the people regarding the Saint. Another miracle he claimed was that he raised 33 men from the dead. 

St. Patrick’s Day stands as a vibrant celebration of St. Patrick and his devotion to his faith and cultural pride. We commemorate this day with parades, festivals, and the color green. However, we also are reminded to reflect on St. Patrick’s profound legacy in our faith and the mark he left on the country of Ireland.