If You Didn’t Watch the 2024 Grammys, Here’s the Highlights:

Every year, the Grammys roll around like a musical carnival, dazzling us with performances, controversies, and jaw-dropping fashion statements. For some background, The Grammys are an annual celebration of the year’s achievements in music. These awards are presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS) and are the pinnacle of an artist’s career. These ceremonies have been occurring annually since 1958, and are watched by about 16.9 million people. This year’s ceremony was the show’s largest audience since 2020, and was looked highly upon by viewers. If you weren’t able to watch it this year, here’s some of the main things you missed.

Although she has been making music since 2006, Miley Cyrus won her first ever Grammy. Another major award was given to Taylor Swift. With her astounding amount of popularity, Taylor won the award for Album of the Year for her album Midnights to no one’s surprise. This itself is a huge achievement, but it also puts her in the lead for artist with the most album of the year awards. The song of the year award was given to Billie Eilish for her song What Was I Made For? featured in the Barbie Movie. The award for best new artist was given to Victoria Monét. Her music recently gave her a breakthrough to the public, making her eligible for this award. 

Some highlights of the awards given in the Pop Music category are as follows: The best Pop solo performance was given to Miley Cyrus for her song Flowers. Not only was this her second Grammy ever, but also her second one in one night. The best pop duo performance was given to SZA and Phoebe Bridgers for their song Ghost in the Machine.

One thing that stuck out to viewers in the Rock, Metal, and Alternative Category was the fact that the up and coming band, boygenius, won 3 awards. One was for best rock performance and best rock song, given for their song Not Strong Enough. They also won best alternative music album for their album The Record. This is super impressive, as it was their first year attending the Grammys.

Overall, the 2024 Grammys were successful as all of the awards were very well deserved. It was super great to see many people getting their firsts, and also many others coming back from post Grammy ceremonies. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for these artists!