Swinging into Spring: Girls Softball

Mallory Axline
The 2023 softball team cheesing after winning last years Western League.

As spring season approaches, the girl’s softball season begins to unfold with preseason workouts. These workouts serve as a time for new players to showcase their skills and returners to prepare for the upcoming season. In the weight room and on the practice field, these young athletes are honing in on their skills and building team chemistry. These are all things that will help them compete at a high level this season. 

The Lady Dons are looking to improve this season by adding three new D1 commits, including Sina Talataina (University of Arizona), Sophia Clark (UCSB), and Ellie Davis (Harvard). These girls are prominent leaders, and many underclassmen look up to them for inspiration. However, this year, the senior class will step into their roles and lead the team for one last year. 

While talking to the senior team captains this year, Shea Johnson (Rider University) says their goal is to “win league and CIF while keeping the team’s chemistry a good atmosphere where everyone gets along.” She adds that another big goal is to “stay focused and be more aggressive on offense.” When talking to another team captain, Sereniti Trice (Iowa State University), she said that they have been preparing for the season by “doing a lot of team bonding and preseason workouts to get to know each other better.” After talking with the last team captain, Mallory Axline (USD), she wants to leave a lasting impression on the underclassmen. She is not only a teammate to them but also a friend and role model, so they can eventually follow her path when it’s their turn as upperclassmen. She hopes to end her senior year with a memorable experience and a CIF win. 

The softball team is looking toward important games this year, including Del Norte and OLP. They’re also looking forward to senior night, hopefully winning league, and continuing their run into CIF. For these young athletes, CIF isn’t just about securing the trophy; it’s about realizing their full potential, overcoming challenges, and leaving a lasting legacy that will hopefully inspire future players coming to Cathedral.