Book Review: Into the Wild

Into the Wild is a 1996 non-fiction book written by Jon Krakauer. It is an expansion of a 9,000-word article by Krakauer on Chris McCandless titled Death of an Innocent.
Into the Wild is a 1996 non-fiction book written by Jon Krakauer. It is an expansion of a 9,000-word article by Krakauer on Chris McCandless titled “Death of an Innocent”.

Prepare to embark on a heart-wrenching and thought-provoking journey in Jon Krakauer’s “Into the Wild.” A beautiful blend of adventure, disaster, and self-discovery, this non-fiction novel answers the ever-pressing question: What is our purpose? Written in 1996 as an expansion to the article written by Krakauer titled “Death of an Innocent”, this book follows the heroic story of Chris McCandless. 

Determined to break free from the shackles of the materialistic world, McCandless embarked on an exhilarating voyage to the Alaskan wilderness. After dropping out of college, Chris cut all ties to the life he knew and ventured to live a natural life, hitchhiking through the US and Mexico. In April 1993, Chris would begin his journey through the Stampede Trail where he faced many unseen challenges that would lead to his death, where he was found three weeks later. 

Since he had completely left his life behind, it was nearly impossible to trace any information about his past life. Through the help of a detailed journal that he kept and the shared experiences of friends and family, they were able to recount the events that occurred during his nomadic adventure.

The researched details and captivating writing style provide for a more satisfying read that is accessible to everyone. It not only brings awareness to Chris’s story but includes many beautiful experiences of people who met and were influenced by him. 

One of the themes that author Jon Krakauer incorporates is the issue of technology and materialism. One of the driving forces for McCandless’s expedition is his strong urge to diverge from the material world and reconnect with nature. Krakaruer’s interpretation of Chris’s story teaches readers the importance of the relationship between humans and the natural world we are so blessed to be a part of. It teaches us how beneficial it can be to take a step back and just exist in nature.

One of the more positive messages from the book is this sense of call to adventure that Chris and others feel. Throughout the story, McCandless is drawn to the thrill of living on the road and surviving the challenges of the great outdoors. It is a very common call that many feel at least once in their lives but often struggle to put into action. McCandless is a unique story because he put his plan into action and had a beautiful and adventurous life, no matter the consequences. 

Many readers, including myself, agree that this book has changed their life. There are countless messages that readers can take away from this book not only about materialism and nature but life in general. His story is one of many that urges humans to reconnect with the things that matter, not material things. I recommend this book to anyone because the message is universal, to live your life to the fullest.