Romeo and Juliet (Tom’s Version)

Movie Poster for Romeo and Juliet
Movie Poster for Romeo and Juliet

“Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Romeo?” This is a line from the original telling of the classic play by William Shakespeare which takes place in Verona Italy during the renaissance. It takes you through the famous tale of Romeo and Juliet, forbidden star-crossed lovers doomed to fate. Over the years since its publication, many adaptations on the silver screen have emerged. Most famous of the retellings being the 90’s remake starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Claire Danes. The remake takes place not in Verona Italy, but in Venice Beach California. Instead of Lords fighting with swords against each other on cobblestone pathways it was business rivals on the sandy streets using guns. So with all of that being said, what will Jamie Lloyd do with the play? And how will Tom Holland be a part of his vision?

Director Jamie Lloyd, and owner of The Jamie Lloyd Company is famously known for a minimalist style of theater. His productions have minimal sets and monochromatic extremely simple costumes. That combined with Romeo and Juliet will make for an interesting take. It leaves not a lot up to the mystery of how the play will turn out. Most of the focus will most likely be on the lines and emotions of the actors. The unanswered question then is not what it’s gonna look like but what it’s going to sound and feel like. Lead theater critic for The Daily Telegraph, Dominic Cavendish, described Jamie Lloyd as having the, “ability to transport us to the upper echelons of theatrical pleasure.” Giving the to-be audience excitement for what he’s going to do with the play.

Tom Holland is most famous for being the most modern version of Spider-Man. His roles range from a Devil killer, to a humble bartender turned explorer. His big start in the theater business was playing Billy Elliot in the musical, Billy Elliot the Musical at just 12 years old. He then went on to star in the natural disaster movie The Impossible alongside Ewan Mcgregor and Naomi Watts. Most of his films since then have been action movies, so what will his version of Romeo look like? I have no doubt Holland will fill the role of Romeo beautifully and make the audience who are lucky enough to attend feel the full Shakespearean experience.