Bon Voyage, Seniors! A Review of the Senior Boat Dance

Mary Tyson
Friends sitting on the top level of the Cruise.

Seniors set sail into the sunset in a nostalgic navigation. Students gathered in San Diego Bay on April 19th at 5:30 pm to board the Flagship cruise. The senior boat dance is a tradition at Cathedral Catholic and a highlight for most seniors. 

The crew ushered students to the top of the boat filled with rows of benches where all students sat until take off. As soon as the anchor was released, students buzzed around the cruise either eating Domino’s Pizza, enjoying sodas at the bar, dancing on the dance floor, listening to the DJ’s music, or taking in the views. There were many activities for all student types to enjoy and appreciate. 

DJ playing music on the second floor of the cruise. (Sofia Mah)

The cruise swept around the bay, exhibiting breathtaking views of Coronado Bridge, downtown, and historical boats on the dock. As the sun went down, the sunset stole the show as the beautiful hues of yellow, orange, and pink glistened off the water. Brooke Quirarte ‘24 reflects, “Being able to see the beautiful sunset on the water surrounded by the senior class was a very fun bonding experience and allowed me to grow closer with my peers before graduation.” Once the sunset finished, the bright stars, calm moon, and vibrant nightlife illuminated which presented spectacular sceneries.

Sunset views from the second level of the cruise featuring the Coronado Bridge. (Sofia Mah)

The cruise offered three levels accessible to the students. Sarah Brown ‘24 details, “It was nice that there were levels because if you needed a break from the DJ and dancing you could go up top to sit with your friends and talk.” The top level provided the best sightseeing in all directions and seating for socializing, while the second level featured an assortment of food, drinks, and a DJ playing trendy hits. The second floor also held a dance floor space which Shay Dornan ‘24 expresses, “It seemed like every step on the dance floor, we celebrated the bonds we had formed throughout our high school journey.” As the night progressed and the temperature drew colder, students gravitated towards the second floor for socializing on tables, seats, and the dance floor.

Mr. Filipone, the senior class moderator, conveys that this occasion holds a special place as his “Favorite senior event.” Demonstrating meticulous planning and coordination, he coordinates with Flagship Cruises and Events, assembling chaperones, securing the DJ, and overseeing all contractual obligations. He articulates, “It’s a good end-of-the-year time for seniors because they can reflect on their high school career.”

The seniors cherished the event, finding joy and nostalgia in connecting as they near the next chapter in life. Dakota Conway ‘24 entails, “Overall it was a very fun experience, especially as one of the last events we’ll have together as a class.” Shay Dornan ‘24 adds, “Whether we were talking about the past 4 years or talking about our futures, there was a sense of unity.” As they sailed into the night, laughter and camaraderie filled the air with a bittersweet aroma, crafting memories to treasure forever.

Group of friends gather to savor the night views on the top level of the cruise. (Shay Dornan)