ASB welcomes freshmen and returning Dons

“Welcome Week” at Cathedral Catholic was full of excitement.  Freshman wristbands, lunchtime activities and throwback tee-shirts are just a few of the treasures that students enjoyed last week.

Each year, Cathedral’s Associated Student Body (ASB) collaborates and works hard to make the incoming freshmen students feel welcome and proud to be Dons.  It helps ease the transition from junior high to high school and is made to be something that everybody can participate in.

On the first day of school, each member of the class of 2015 was given a special wristband by ASB on behalf of the faculty and student body welcoming them in to the Cathedral family.

Senior ASB Executive Vice President Aubriana Butler.  “We really try to make the freshman feel comfortable and welcomed at CCHS.  It also really helps to unite the freshman class all week.  We encourage them to go and participate in the lunchtime activities.”

Another element of “Welcome Week” was the friendly atmosphere created by various lunchtime activities.  Each day of the week had a unique activity that allowed any student to get involved.  The week’s schedule consisted of musical chairs, tug of war, “Don’t Forget the Lyrics,” “Singled Out,” and a dance off.

One of the week’s senior standouts was Kelsea Lickert.  Kelsea participated in every single event, but her favorite was certainly musical chairs.  After a long and hard battle, Kelsea came out on top and was crowned winner of musical chairs.

“I feel like musical chairs is a game that takes a lot of skill and perseverance, yet it can also be a lot of fun,” said Kelsea.  “I am not sold on the class of 2015, but I feel that if they learn to have fun and get involved in some of the activities, they can be a successful class.  They will learn.”

Another fan of this week’s activities was freshman Ben Zeledon.  “My favorite ‘Welcome Week’ activity was definitely tug of war,” Ben said.  “I feel very welcome here at Cathedral and I am excited to be a part of the Dons community.”