Tech secures, improves computers for next year

Planning the future implementation of iPads and dealing with laptop theft during this past year, Cathedral’s Tech Department has been busy. Currently, they’re solving the thefts problem as well as looking ahead to next year.

The Tech Department is currently solving this problem as well as looking ahead to next year.

New software has been installed into teachers’ laptops that helps track the locations of the laptops, should they ever go missing.

This software’s really more of a deterrent,” said Mr. Ron Marquez, head of hardware and software support. “The real form of prevention is awareness. We’ve been asking teachers to either lock up their laptops or take them home. Security will be changing the locks on some of the buildings, and has been doing a good job of making sure the buildings are locked right at 3:00. It comes down to everyone in the community using their common sense.”

In addition to working with the Security Department, the Tech Department is also looking to upgrade many of the school’s computers next year. Teachers’ classroom computers will be replaced with newer ones. The computers in the library, which are extensively used by students, are also due for an upgrade. “The older Macs in the library and the computer lab will definitely be upgraded,” said Mr. Marquez.

All of the school’s computers will undergo maintenance over the summer, and in September, students will be able to return to newer, faster, and all-around better computers selected by the CCHS Tech Department.