Cathedral Catholic participates in Wreaths Across America

The sharp chill of the winter snow and cozy cups of hot chocolate are among the first images many people associate with the Christmas season, not the commemoration of fallen American soldiers. However, Americans are no strangers to supporting their troops in any way they can; Wreaths Across America is pushing for a change in this mindset by coordinating wreath laying ceremonies at veteran cemeteries across the nation.

Started in Arlington County, Virginia, Wreaths Across America is a non-profit organization dedicated to spreading the message about the importance of fallen American heroes, teaching the country’s youth about the sacrifices made to preserve their national freedoms. Currently, Cathedral is in its third year of association with this program which was brought to the schools’ attention by Chris Clifford, class of 2012.

With a school-wide attendance of nearly 80 students at Fort Rosecrans and Miramar last year, expectations for this year’s attendance is high – over 50 students have signed up since last week. There are a handful of other local San Diego schools and organizations that participate in this wreath laying ceremony, including both boy scouts and girl scouts. Families and children of all ages have been encouraged to attend this years’ wreath laying ceremony.

Father Brian Kelly, noting the significance of the military, said, “[Students] have to realize that freedom is not free,” continuing that war is “going on right now overseas – [soldiers] are in harm’s way.”

“It’s important to honor fallen veterans for the sacrifices they’ve made,” he said.