Junior Kaitlyn Spousta participates in Race for the Cure

On Sunday, November 6, the streets of Balboa Park and even the 163 freeway lit up with pink as 100,000 San Diegans showed up for the 15th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The race started on 6th Avenue and traveled all the way through the heart of Balboa Park and even onto the 163 free way. The freeway was shut down as a sea of pink tutus flooded one way while cars speed by going the other way, honking in support. One of these runners was Cathedral Catholic’s very own Kaitlyn Spousta.

Kaitlyn is a junior at Cathedral and she has been touched by this life-threatening disease.

“My mom’s two girlfriends survived breast cancer just this past year, so we ran together in their honor,” said Kaitlyn. “My Mom registered everyone in my family [Dad, brother, and sister] to participate and be volunteers.”

Her mother’s company, Oracle, was also a sponsor of the event and as such, hosted 82 Oracle runners.

“However, having this disease have an impact in my life began with my friend, Megan, freshman year,” said Kaitlyn. “She was diagnosed with lymphoma and had to leave school and whenever she would come to visit, something new would be different about her. I remember seeing her with all her hair being gone and how it seemed the cancer had drained the life out of her. It was shocking and saddening to me to see my friend go through all of this. Yet, instead of feeling sorry for her, the first thing that came to mind was how to help her! Being only a freshman I knew there wasn’t much I could personally do, except to keep praying for a miracle and a miracle did happen! Fortunately to this day she is cancer free.”

Breast cancer walks and fundraisers are often described as a way to fight back; with cancer being such a free agent, attacking anyone at any at age, the Race for a Cure walk allows those affected by the disease actively help and fight back.

With this disease causing about 40,000 deaths in America alone this year, everyone can relate to a runners dedication to find a cure. When all is said and done, 75% of all the money raised at the event will stay here in San Diego to help educate and raise awareness about the disease.

As Kaitlyn said, “Cancer may seem like a burden but it’s all about the right attitude! You can either give up, or put up a fight.”