Senior’s band, Make it Last Kid, stands out from crowd

Seniors band, Make it Last Kid, stands out from crowd

Student bands seem to be very prevalent on the Cathedral campus, and one senior, Ryan Badilla, hopes his band, Make it Last Kid, is able to stand out from the crowd. Ryan is the only member of the band that attends CCHS, so it is up to him to let the Dons know about their music.

Ryan said that Make it Last Kid evolved when Nate Blake, currently a student at Mira Costa College, and Charlie Parker, currently a student at University of Washington, “got together to just jam.”  They later needed a singer, so they recruited Peter Schrupp, a senior at Carlsbad High School. Ryan was the next one to be recruited to the band for his bass playing skills. Finally, when Charlie went off to college, Danny Sumstine, a student at Cal State San Marcos, was added as the new drum player.

Behind every band name is a story, and for this band, Ryan said, their name means “…to take advantage of your youth and capitalize on the little things.” Ryan said the members really live up to their name by constantly doing things they enjoy, especially making music and spending time with each other outside of band practices and gigs.

Make it Last Kid composes and writes their own songs. Peter creates most of the lyrics, said Ryan, and then everyone contributes the notes and chords.

Most of their music is relatable to teenagers and young adults.  “Peter and Nate love to write about girls and having fun,” said Ryan.

Ryan said he has taken the skills of prolific writing he has gained in his English class to contribute to writing lyrics.

Those interested can catch Make it Last Kid at any of their gigs, which Ryan said he usually tries to make Facebook event pages for. Their usual venues are SOMA or the Epicenter, but they occasionally venture out to the Los Angeles area.

Possibly their biggest gig, or at least the most memorable show for Ryan, was at SOMA when they played along with the James Morris band for a crowd of around 80 people.

Ryan said most people at Cathedral know about Make it Last Kid through the previously mentioned Facebook invitations for their gigs, and he hopes to spread the word.

Ryan said, “We sound like a combination of Kings of Leon, The Strokes, and Motion City Soundtrack. I guess I’d describe our music as delay infused alternative rock. But you can be the judge of that by checking out our music on iTunes!”