Mrs. Wingo of CCHS Business Department retires

Mrs. Ellen Wingo first entered the University of San Diego High School in 1991 as a new staff member to the business office. Throughout her twenty year profession, Mrs. Wingo experienced the administrations of three principals, witnessed the conversion of USDHS to Cathedral Catholic High School, and watched countless students grow throughout their high school careers. Now, after a long journey with the Cathedral Catholic community, Mrs. Wingo has retired to Lakeland, Florida to spend time with her grandchildren.

A quaint city between Toronto and Orlando, Lakeland is a big transition from the community at Cathedral Catholic High School. But for her grandsons, aged 12 and 9, and another on the way, Mrs. Wingo is excited to make the change.

Regarding what she will miss most once gone, Mrs Wingo said, “The people. I have formed very good lasting friendships. It’s nice because you can really see the development of students from freshman to senior year. If I were to take one thing away from this experience, it would be the relationships I have built.”

As such a wonderful member of the Cathedral community, Mrs. Wingo has impacted the lives of many faculty members and students over the years. Just as she has altered the lives of those she has worked with, she in turn has been inspired by the strong sense of camaraderie present at the school.

“I have seen myself grow, too,” she said. “It has been a learning experience, and I have seen the influence grow on those around me because of the caliber of the people. It is truly a testament to the school and surrounding community that we find our niche here so easily.”

Filled with mixed emotions as she departs along another journey in her life, Mrs. Wingo looks back upon the past twenty years with these words: “It has been a wonderful twenty years…I truly feel privileged and honored to have had this experience.”