Black History Month

Black History Month

The diversity of theAmerican culture is remembered in February as Black History Month is celebrated. Although European countries celebrate black history in October, the awareness for this culture is brought to light all over the world.

Black History Month was established in 1926 but was first known as “Negro History Week.” It was originally created so that the African American contributions to society would be recognized. The month was only recently created, but still is intende to honor the people of African American descent.

Although this month is relatively new in the U.S., the boys basketball coach Will Cunningham sees this month as, “a time when people recognize the different accomplishments of the African American culture.”

Being of African American descent himself, Cunningham believes that it is good that we are taking a month to learn about different cultures. He says that, “America is a kind of melting pot of different cultures, and it’s always good to highlight differences.”

As the cultural achievements are expressed this month and remembered Cunningham remembers God and all that His hand has done for the African culture, “The biggest thing is [that] we should be worried about how we should influence people for the Lord because all these things pass away. Whether you are black, white, Hispanic, Asian, we should be worried about our relationship with the Lord and our relationships with others.”

Sophomore religion teacher Ms. Nicole Geis agrees that this month has helped her, especially in her classroom where she is able to teach students about God using her own history as examples. Ms. Geis said that Black History Month has “given me opportunity here; it gives me opportunity to open kids’ eyes to something that they don’t know much about. It gives me strength knowing that people lost their lives to get me where I am.”