New religion teacher Ms. Gustafson is “ready for a fun school year”

New religion teacher Ms. Gustafson is ready for a fun school year

Alex Ayash, Staff Writer

Although she is not related to the new library moderator, Mr. Chuck Gustafson, another Gustafson has been added to the CCHS family. Ms. Amanda Gustafson, a San Diego native, is beginning her first year teaching Catholic Faith 9 and Speech 2/Debate at Cathedral Catholic. Ms. Gustafson grew up in Point Loma, went to school at Santa Sophia Academy through her elementary and middle school, and later attended the Academy of Our Lady of Peace for her high school years.

“I had a great time in high school and loved my time attending OLP,” Ms. Gustafson said. She did not play any sports, but did participate on the speech and debate team, the academic decathlon, and was fascinated by the dramatic arts.

After high school, Ms. Gustafson attended Regis University in Denver, Colorado on a speech and debate scholarship and received her undergraduate degree in fine arts and religious studies. At this point, Ms. Gustafson said that she did not have any intentions of becoming a teacher.

Ms. Gustafson was led to teaching children during her time spent at Sea World as a “camp counselor.” Sea World offers weeklong camps for children in a classroom setting, which includes a hands-on part for kids to interact with the animals. Ms. Gustafson’s job was to teach the kids about aquatic life and all the animals at Sea World. This job led her to become a middle school teacher at St. Michael’s Academy in San Diego, where she taught religion and English. “I used to teach English, and it’s not that I don’t love English, but I did not like reading the same books over and over. I prefer to teach religion,” Ms. Gustafson said.

When she heard about an opening at Cathedral Catholic in the religion department, Ms. Gustafson quickly jumped on the opportunity and accepted the job. “I wanted to teach religion and only religion, but in middle school, you kind of have to do it all. So when Cathedral had the opportunity to only teach religion, I knew that I had to accept the position.”

In her free time, Ms. Gustafson enjoys painting with oil and acrylics, as well as visiting the ‘happiest place on Earth.’ “I love going to Disneyland,” Ms. Gustafson said. “I have the annual pass and try to go at least once a month, which is my goal.”

Though CCHS is a new environment for Ms. Gustafson, she stated that she is ready for a new school and is very excited to begin her teaching career here. “Teaching here is not too different from teaching middle school, the kids are just older, but I am excited and ready for a fun school year.”