Love Through the Centuries

The two most popular gifts that are given on Valentine’s Day are red roses and love letters!

Valentine’s Day started with Saint Valentine in the fifth century and has been celebrated as a day of romance since the fourteenth century. He lived his life with love and friendship and always put others before himself. When Emperor Claudius decided to make it illegal for young men to marry because they needed to go to war, Saint Valentine knew it was an injustice. He began to perform marriages in secret for young people in love. When this was discovered he was beheaded by the Emperor. 

Valentine’s Day used to be celebrated with a mid- February festival known as Luercalia and was celebrated to honor the god of fertility and love. Then as time went on traditions started to form. In the 18th century couples would get each other flowers and send greeting cards. Then in the following century the tradition of getting your loved one chocolate started to emerge.

Many enduring traditions from the past continue to shape contemporary celebrations. In the present day, numerous couples partake in the age-old practice of sharing a romantic meal at an amazing restaurant. This intimate gesture not only allows them to enjoy amazing food but also provides an opportunity for meaningful connection and quality time spent together.

Furthermore, the exchange of gifts has become a hallmark of modern-day expressions of love. Among the most popular gifts of affection are boxes of chocolates, with about 2.4 billion dollars spent on chocolates every Valentine’s Day. Additionally, vibrant bouquets of flowers, with roses being the most popular, have established themselves as timeless symbols of love and passion.

The tradition of gifting roses, specifically, has deep-rooted historical significance. These beautiful flowers have long been associated with love and desire, making them a perfect choice for expressing romantic feelings. The intricate language of flowers, known as floriography, attributes various meanings to different flower types, and the rose’s association with love has endured through the ages.

These customs persist as reminders of the enduring nature of love and the importance of cherishing romantic connections. Combining historical traditions with contemporary expressions helps bind generations together, making each romantic celebration a unique blend of the old and the new.

Some interesting facts about Valentine’s Day are that the first ever Valentine letter was written from prison. Another thing is about 440,000 people get engaged on Valentine’s Day, making it the second most common day to get engaged. Lastly, 250 million roses are sold on Valentine’s Day— totalling nearly 2 billion dollars spent on flowers.