Cathedral Catholic’s Diverse Religion Courses

Emily Kovarik
A look into the Saint Therese Chapel on Cathedral Catholic’s campus.

Cathedral Catholic’s religion department offers a diverse range of courses aimed at deepening students’ understanding of faith and spirituality while encouraging them to live out their beliefs. These courses include: Catholic Faith, Catholic Innovations, and Campus Ministry. From freshmen to seniors, each year brings new challenges and opportunities for spiritual growth. 

For freshmen, Catholic Faith 9 serves as an introduction to Catholicism. In this course, students engage in dynamic activities, discussions, and creative projects. A central focus of this course is the exploration of the four core values of being a Don: faith, knowledge, character, and responsibility. Students learn that being a Don means using their gifts to change the world and living a life of service to others. Through scriptural references emphasizing God’s preference for the poor and vulnerable, students are inspired to make a difference in their communities. 

Miss Valentini, a Catholic Faith 9 teacher, says “My students’ favorite activity is when we have silent prayer in the chapel, this allows them to spend time with God.” This course stresses the importance of speaking to God and building a relationship with Him. 

During their sophomore year, students have the option between Catholic Faith 10 and Catholic Innovations 10. In Catholic Faith 10, students explore God’s plan of salvation through the Paschal Mystery and learn how to be active participants in His plan as global citizens. They broaden their understanding of Christ’s mission and their role as faith-filled individuals in a diverse world.

Meanwhile, Catholic Innovations 10 offers intellectually curious students an opportunity to explore spiritual and philosophical truths. Mackenna Heichel, a Cathedral Catholic sophomore, explains, “Catholic Innovations isn’t just about learning; it’s about uncovering new perspectives and embracing the depth of our spiritual journey. I’m excited to continue exploring and growing my faith.”

When students are juniors they continue their spiritual journey with a choice of three courses: Catholic Faith 11, Catholic Innovations 11, and Campus Ministry 11. In Catholic Faith 11, students focus on living a sacramental life grounded in Christian morality, while Catholic Innovations 11 emphasizes personal creativity. Campus Ministry 11 challenges students to put their faith into action through service and leadership opportunities within the CCHS community.

By senior year, students are ready to explore their faith to the next level with the following courses: Catholic Faith 12, Catholic Innovations 12, and Campus Ministry 12. Catholic Faith 12 challenges students to interact with complex ideas and issues within their faith and the world. Through exploration of Catholic theology, biblical texts, and personal creativity, students grow in faith and theological knowledge. They are challenged to recognize the work of the Catholic Church beyond the classroom and to actively participate in social justice initiatives. 

Catholic Innovations 12 emphasizes social justice and the Church’s role in shaping a better world. This course is inquiry-based, with students leading the charge for the content covered and completing individual projects that allow them to delve into topics of personal interest and relevance. This approach not only cultivates critical thinking skills but also encourages students to apply their faith to real-world situations and challenges.

Campus Ministry 12 provides a platform for students to strengthen their faith and share it with others on campus and beyond. Mrs. Wright, speaks about what she teaches in Campus Ministry 12: “We learn about Catholic Social Teaching, especially how it pertains to how we treat others, and right now we’re studying discernment & vocations. What I hope is that students will leave this course able to openly share their faith, and want to be in service to people who live “on the margins” of our society.”

Through these diverse courses, Cathedral Catholic High School prepares students to live out their faith in the world and use the gifts God gave them to make a positive change in their communities. These religion courses encourage students to embrace a way of life rooted in faith, service, and love.