Unsung Heroes of CCHS Sports: Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin

Kate Stuart
Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin pose for a photo before their afterschool rush.

In the world of high school athletics, the spotlight often shines brightly on star players and winning scores. At Cathedral, the athletic trainers, Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin’s impact goes beyond the boundaries of the playing field. Their dedication to ensuring every athlete performs at their peak is nothing short of remarkable.

For almost a decade now, Ms. Austin has been a familiar face in the hallways of Cathedral Catholic, but her journey with the school began even earlier, as she interned during her senior year of college at San Diego State. When asked about her favorite aspect of being a trainer at Cathedral, Ms. Austin explains: “The kids and the coaches.” Her passion lies in the relationships she builds with the student-athletes and the coaching staff, forming bonds that extend far beyond the confines of the athletic training room.

“Some of them have called me a second mom, so I’ll lean into it,” she shares warmly. This sentiment speaks volumes about the trust and respect she has gathered from the students under her care. Indeed, to many of these young athletes, Ms. Austin and Ms. Ashley, are not just trainers but mentors, friends, and pillars of support.

A typical day in the lives of these athletic trainers is a whirlwind of activity, with schedules packed to the brim with practices, games, and treatment sessions. 

“We start by checking emails and the schedule to see if anything has changed,” explains Ms. Austin, “Throughout the day, we treat kids during lunch, set up water for all the games and practices, and provide treatment for athletes before, during, and after school.” Their dedication knows no bounds, as they work tirelessly to ensure that every athlete receives the care they need to perform at their best.

Managing multiple games on campus can appear to be a daunting task, but Ms. Austin and Ms. Ashley tackle it with grace and efficiency. As the two full-time certified athletic trainers on staff, they are able to coordinate their efforts to cover as many events as possible. “In a perfect world, there are no more than two games going on simultaneously,” says Ms. Austin, “But sometimes, we have to prioritize based on the level of contact in the games, ensuring that we’re present where our expertise is most needed.”

For students like Zoey Ronco ‘24, a dancer on Cathedral’s Dance Team, the impact of Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin extends far beyond the realm of Cathedral sports.

“They are always so positive and ready to help all of the student-athletes,” she says, “I have such appreciation for everything they do because I wouldn’t be able to perform at 100% without them.” Zoey’s sentiment is echoed by countless other students who have benefited from the care and guidance of our beloved trainers.

One memory stands out for Zoey—a moment of vulnerability and strength intertwined. “When I got a concussion and had a panic attack, Ms. Ashley talked me down and prepared me to be ready for my competition the same day,” she recalls. Moments like these highlight the true essence of Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin—their unwavering support, compassion, and ability to inspire confidence even in the face of adversity.

In the crazy realm of high school athletics, Ms. Ashley and Ms. Austin may not always take center stage, but their contributions are vital to the success of Cathedral sports. They are the silent champions, the guiding lights, and the unsung heroes whose impact resonates far beyond the final buzzer. As the heartbeat of the athletic program, they embody the spirit of dedication, compassion, and excellence that defines Cathedral Catholic.