CCHS and Uni athletes honored in Hall of Fame

“Honoring the Past to Inspire the Future” is the theme for the Dons Sports Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame was formed to honor and recognize players and coaches who have been outstanding in athletics.

The Hall of Fame was created ten years ago by the Development Office of University of San Diego High School.  Supervision of the event was moved to the alumni association seven years ago and, two years ago, was given to the athletic department as a celebration of athletics. Honorees are chosen by the The Hall of Fame Committee*.

Friday October 14th was the ninth annual Hall of Fame game. All alumni were invited. Before the game, cocktails, hor d’oeurves, and a meet-and-greet were held in the USDHS Library on the CCHS campus. This was followed by the presentation of the awards for the inductees. Then, all the alumni were able to watch the football game as the varsity team took on Patrick Henry.

During half-time, the inductees were presented. Tim Derenthal, Director of Alumni at CCHS, described what happens during the ceremony.
He said, “A social hour is followed by the presentation of the inductees. Their accomplishments are read and they are able to give a quick acceptance speech. They are then presented to the entire crowd during half-time of the football game in much the same way, except no speech.”

The inductees are alumni who showed outstanding athletics or provided great inspiration to the athletic department. The exact qualifications for the Hall Of Fame can be found in the by-laws. The inductees can be nominated by anyone, and another member of the committee must second the nomination. If this happens, then their name is placed on a ballot.

The nominee has to get two-thirds of the votes of everyone present to be selected. The inductees are then invited to a ceremony were they will receive their awards. Not all of the inductees could make it to this year’s ceremony, so they will be inducted this year and get to participate in next year’s ceremony for public recognition.

This year, the committee chose seven individuals or teams to be inducted to the Dons Sports Hall of Fame. Those inducted are Rico Tucker, Katie Rulon, Demetrius Sumler, Blake Hayter, Don DeAngelo, the 1997 USDHS Tennis Team, and Nancy Carballo. Rio Tcker was inducted for Basketball in 2001.

Katie Rulon was honored for her participation in 2005 Waterpolo. Demetrius Sumler was chosen for 2006 football. Blake Hayter was chosen for her outstanding achievements in 2006 swim. Don DeAngelo, AP US History and American Government at CCHS, was inducted for his coaching. The 1997 USDHS Tennis Team was inducted for their outstanding season and acheivements. Nancy Carballo was chosen to receive the Friend of Sports award.

Mr. Derenthal explained exactly what kinds of people become inducted. He said, “Someone who has dedicated a tremendous amount of time and energy to our athletic department and to our athletes. They have played a critical role in the success of the athletic program or in the development of the program.”

*The Hall of Fame Committee is made up of nine members: the current principal or representative, the current athletic director, an appointed member from the Dons Athletic Club, four current coaching staff members, and two community representatives. The Committee follows the Dons Sports Hall of Fame Constitution and By-Laws, recently revised in March of 2011. The by-laws state the rules for officers and members of the Hall of Fame Committee, qualifications for the Hall of Fame Committee, and the selection process and recognition.