Girls basketball starts strong (slideshow)

The Lady Dons varsity basketball team is off to a mighty  pre-season start, and the athletes hold high hopes for the rest of the season.

So far, the team has played in two pre-season tournament games against Ramona High School and Escondido High School. Both games were successfully won. The next game takes place on December 8th at Del Norte High School, although league games won’t start until late January.

Senior Brittany Schwan said, “The whole team is really excited with the new coaching staff, and we’re ready to give it our all in practices and in games. We have high hopes for CIF and state title.”

Cathedral history teacher Ms. Melissa Padgett left her last season’s position as head coach in order to pursue her master’s degree. This year’s head coach is Stephanie Rivera, who is assisted by religion teacher Ms. Nicole Geis and history teacher Mr. Joe Kilroy.

Ms. Geis, said, “Everyday the girls are committed to getting better. They are challenged to give their absolute best in every drill and every minute of every game. With that type of work ethic and attitude, the potential for this team is sky high.”

Tryouts took place November 15th through November 18th, and the final roster included 15 girls. The team is led by six seniors, three of them named captains. They include Brittany Schwan, Christina Kime, and Valerie Nawhine.

Practices take place everyday after school, and all team members must attend a weight-room workout at least once a week.

Brittany said, “A typical practice includes stretching, drills, scrimmaging, and going over game strategies. All aspects of practice are taken very seriously.”

Senior Drew Milsom said, “You might be amazed to hear that a girl’s high school basketball team has fifteen people on it, but we are a family, with much talent and very competitive, that wants to go far this season. You will see the members on varsity pushing each other to make each individual player better this season, for the team’s sake.”