Girls Volleyball advances to State

Girls Volleyball advances to State

A packed house at the Claver Center Tuesday night saw the Cathedral Catholic Girls Volleyball team defeat the Canyon Crest Academy Ravens three games to one in the CIF Southern California Regional Championship. The game was characterized by high-energy volleyball spurred on by a raucous crowd. Cathedral now advances to their third consecutive State Championship.

Once again the Lady Dons fell behind early and rallied back with a strong finish. Canyon Crest Academy (CCA) won the first set 25-23. Cathedral would go on to sweep the final three sets by scores of 25-15, 25-22, and 25-23.

Taylor Milton once again led the way for the Lady Dons with 22 kills. Behind Samantha Cash’s 31 kills, CCA jumped out to early leads, but Cathedral answered every challenge by the Ravens. The solid defense of the Lady Dons took over the match. The blocking of Lindsay Elgin and Morgan Cormier shut down the high-powered Ravens offense.

The loud Cathedral fans played a big part in the victory. Chants were heard from each team’s supporters as the close-fought sets were played out. Both the Ravens and the Dons were inspired, and the level of play was elevated by the energetic atmosphere.

Coach Kelly Drobeck and her Lady Dons will now focus on defending their State title. They hope that their strong following will continue to be a part of their success.