Dons taking every game seriously

Dons taking every game seriously

Friday, October 29, the Cathedral Catholic Dons pulled a victory away from the Mira Mesa Marauders, adding to their already perfect league season.  The Marauders fought hard, but were unable to touch to recently rejuvenated Dons, who are still in the running for the CIF tournament. “We were really confident going in,” said senior runningback Chris Kilroy. “We knew we had to get the job done and we knew how to do it.”

In the game, senior runningback Jonny Martin put some yards behind him for a touchdown, and two touchdowns were scored from interceptions by junior defensive back Patrick Downing and sophomore linebacker Tony Johnson – all followed up with the extra point. Senior kicker Jacob Roman also scored a field goal, and the game ended with an impressive score of 24-14.

“Even though we had a rough start, we were able to work out our offense and defense and perform at our full potential during the last few games,” said senior offensive lineman Drew Vecchio. Wide receiver Trevor Stevens and defensive lineman Nick Balelo jokingly agree, “We ruminated (sic) them.”

Although the Dons are doing well so far in league, the season isn’t over yet, and they’re looking to beat Patrick Henry this coming Friday, November 5. “Even though Patrick Henry is 1-7, we should still take the game seriously,” said Stevens. “If we slack off for just one game, it could cost us everything we’ve worked for; we’re going in confident but not cocky.”

On the rest of the season, Kilroy said, “We have to treat every game like a playoff and win from here.” With the game against rival Saint Augustine looming on the horizon, many wonder what this year’s outcome will be, “We can’t look too far ahead,” said Kilroy, “but we’re going to beat them.”

View Comments (1)

• D

Don DraperNov 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM

This is a cool… but you guys have done stories on varsity and freshmen, but not jv football.. JV football has a huge game against Saints next week and winner wins League.. It would be a cool Story…

Reply
Dons taking every game seriously