Winter Formal is a huge success (Video)

Winter Formal is a huge success (Video)

Saturday, February 9th, at the Rancho Bernardo Inn Cathedral Catholic held their annual Winter Formal. ASB moderator Ms. Christine Lagrimas explained that there was a lot more to the theme “The Great Gatsby” than meets the eye.

The Great Gatsby is a classic American novel, and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s quintessential piece. It depicts the decadent life of the Roaring 20’s and, though it wasn’t necessarily true for everyone, the 20’s is remembered as a time of great economic growth, changing culture, and more independence for women (women were finally allowed to vote).  What is particularly remembered about the 20’s is the art deco, Charleston, flapper dresses, and “good time” party atmosphere.

Juniors and seniors are familiar with the novel and the era Fitzgerald painted. ASB loved the idea of the decadent yet classy celebratory imagery from the era; also, the new film is soon to be released, and fashion trends are embracing the 20’s looks. Even if freshmen and sophomores are unfamiliar with Gatsby, they will undoubtedly be familiar with it by the time they graduate.”

Unlike homecoming, students had to have dates to Winter Formal. Instead of simply asking someone , students took this opportunity to find dates in unexpected and unique ways. Take junior Conner Ward; he planned to ask another junior Ashley Lynch.

“Well, I figured out what class she had 5th period. I went to Mr. Anderson and asked if he could send her out of the room at 11:10 to go get something from my classroom. She didn’t know she was going to get her own roses. At 11:05, I came to Anderson’s room and waited around the corner until she left. I came in and Mr. Anderson had the cupcakes I dropped off before school, hung up the sign, and waited for her to walk in,” Connor said.

There was also sophomore Natalie Klinge who was asked by Drew Cowell who put flowers in her locker.

“I was so surprised, and it was so cute!” Natalie said.

Overall, the mood around the Cathedral Catholic campus was definitely lightened by these creative surprises.

All of the students dressed up and looked beautiful the night of the dance, but some girls were given shorts and shirts to put on over their dresses.

However, ASB member Griffen Terhune said, “I thought it was a success! It looked like everyone had a good time. And I received a ton of  compliments! I was so happy to see a ton of people on the dance floor all night!”

View Comments (1)

• D

Denise JasenovecFeb 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Glad the paper is writing about the dances! Great writing Victoria, I always enjoy reading your stories.

Reply
Winter Formal is a huge success (Video)