Celebrating Catholic curriculum

This year’s Catholic Schools Week slogan, “Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.” encourages Catholic school students and administrators to take the initiative to spread Christ’s teachings.

Infographic by Eugenia Dominguez-Chaires

Lauren Boyer, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Aidan Cerveny ‘19, who attended Catholic school since kindergarten, cannot imagine his life without it.

“[Catholic school] has taught me the importance of compassion, empathy, truth, knowledge, and faith,” Cerveny said. “It is this allowance to practice faith that in turn flourishes and illuminates the beneficial traits Catholicism preaches.”

To raise awareness and to appreciate Catholic education, Cathedral Catholic High School this week celebrates Catholic Schools Week by hosting a series of activities to promote this year’s CSW theme of “Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.”

Cerveny, along with other campus ministers in CCHS religion teacher Mrs. Marie Lopez’s campus ministry 12 classes, created  different themes for each day this week, including Ministry Monday, Trivia Tuesday, Worship Wednesday, and Thrive Thursday, complete with a Winter Rally on Friday.

“Each of these days will have fun activities at lunch, as well as a prayer that focuses on the importances of Catholic education and this year’s CSW theme,” Cerveny said.

Students may receive M&Ms on Monday during lunch with notes attached detailing different opportunities campus ministers foster on and outside of the CCHS campus to spread God’s word.

Corresponding with the trivia posters currently hung in the four CCHS academic buildings, students who correctly answer trivia questions on Tuesday gain the chance to win a free formal ticket courtesy of Associated Student Body.

Keeping in line with Worship Wednesday, Father Patrick Wainwright will celebrate an all-school mass.

In an effort to encourage past and present educators, students can write letters Thursday at lunch to CCHS teachers and elementary parochial school teachers.

“The letters to local parochial schools will help encourage them to keep up the good work,” Dean of Mission and Ministry, Mrs. Stacy Wells said.

Students and faculty also will attend the Winter Rally on Friday in the Claver Center, and they will attend Winter Formal on Saturday night at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina.

CCHS students were encouraged to attend the University of San Diego NCAA Division I basketball game against the University of San Francisco last Saturday at the Jenny Craig Pavilion as a way to support two of California’s Catholic universities.

The game was close, with USF leading for most of the game, but USD eventually won 67-63, according to CCHS student Blake Laureti ‘19, who attended the game.

CSW originated in 1974 as a way to bring awareness to the integration of ethical and academic education Catholic schools offer to youth.

Currently, 1,835,376 American students are enrolled in Catholic schools, with 6,352 Catholic schools nationwide. Peak enrollment occurred during the 1960s, but declined during the 1970s and 1980s. Catholic school enrollment slightly increased from the mid-1990s, but decreased again after the Great Recession in 2008. Elementary schools have taken most of the enrollment toll, according to NCEA.org.

The decline in enrollment can be attributed to increased tuition prices, secular private school options, and improvements in public schools, according to Mrs. Wells.

“We hope to remind CCHS students of the blessing of a Catholic education in all aspects of life not only academia,” Cerveny said. “We also hope to extend this message to all members of the community around us, opening their eyes to the benefits of Catholic education and thanking those who currently make it possible.”