Girls Varsity soccer advances to state playoffs

The Cathedral Catholic High School boys soccer team scores its first goal of the night during a recent match versus La Jolla.

Photo by LeeAnne Bates

Photo by LeeAnne Bates

El Cid Staff

Girls Varsity Soccer

Looking Back: The Lady Dons soccer players finished with an undefeated league. They played their first CIF game, the quarterfinals, on Tuesday against Eastlake, and they finished with a win of 8-1. The week after they played a tough game against Rancho Bernardo and ended with a score of 3-2. In order to maintain their spot in CIF, they defeated La Costa Canyon in a playoff game. It was a back and forth game, and when the final whistle blew, the score was tied 1-1. Finally, the team went into penalty kicks, winning the game. Now they are moving on to the State Championships.
Golden Moments: “It was tough,” Emali MacKinnon ’18 said. “We put in a lot of hard work and the results came out. I’m just really excited we’re moving on.”
Los Locos Rating: 3 out 5
Around the Corner: As of right now, the date of the next game has not been announced. Look on Maxpreps for more information.

— Michaela Jacobs and Joe Baini

Boys Varsity Basketball

Overall Record: 20-6

League Record: 11-1

Looking Back: The Cathedral Catholic High School boys basketball team had a tough loss to Foothills Christian High School last Saturday with a final score of 80-63.

Notable Don: Brandon McCoy ‘17 finished with 28 points and six rebounds

Notable Knight: UCLA-bound T.J. Leaf had 36 points, 11 rebounds, six blocked shots and six assists

Highlight of the game: There were 13 dunks total in the game, 7 by McCoy ‘17.

Around the Corner: Although the team lost CIF finals, the boys still advance to state playoffs and will play against Sierra Canyon this Friday, March 11 at 7:00 p.m..

– Jackie Heitman and Arcelita Martin

Varsity Track and Field

Current Record: 1-0
Looking back: Track and field participated in its first meet on March 3.  Many of the members came out on top against their Mira Mesa competitors. This pre-season meet, while not a league meet, served as a good chance for participants to start their season on a strong note.
Notable Dons: Many of the distance runners performed well in their particular events. Alex Cerveny ’17 had a notable record of running a mile in 5.31 minutes. Distance runner Anna Bourke ’18 also ran a two mile in an impressive amount of time of 12.17 minutes.
Around the corner (next week): The next meet for all the track and field members takes place March 10 against Mount Carmel and Valley Center at Valley Center High School. Only members that participate in distance running and field events are invited to compete sooner on March 5 at Mount Carmel.
About: The track and field team started its season strong. While these meets are pre-season and not currently league meets, they serve as good preparation for the rest of the team’s season. At the track meets, all members are encouraged to support their teammates even if they are not competing in an event. Coach Dan Geiger encourages JV and Novice members to compete in many of the events as well.  
Player’s Comment: “I am hoping to see some good starting times,” Erin MacNeil ’16 said. “It doesn’t have to be a perfect, but I would like our team to have a better start than last season.”

— Monica Inoue and Melissa Vorndran