Coco Gauff Serves Up Victory

NBC New York
Guaff wins first Grand Slam title.

On September 9th, nineteen-year-old Coco Gauff won the U.S. Open tennis championship. She became the youngest American to win a U.S. Open since Serena Williams in 1999, and the third American teenager to win the national women’s title. Born and raised in Delray Beach, Florida, you could say that athleticism runs in her blood. Her father, Corey Gauff, played basketball for Georgia State, and her mom, Candi, attended Florida State on a full scholarship and competed in hurdles and heptathlon. 

Gauff knew what she wanted to achieve before she could even attend school. She told her parents that she wanted to be the best tennis player in the world. So, naturally, by age seven, Gauff was training with a tennis pro two hours a day, several days a week. When she turned ten, she attended a French academy run by a tennis pro who had spent years teaching Serena Williams. At just the age of thirteen, Gauff was the youngest U.S. Open junior girls finalist in history, and shortly after she turned fourteen, she was once again one of the youngest winners of the French Open junior girls tournament. But for Gauff, tennis wasn’t what she loved most. Her devotion to her Christian life has shaped who she is as a player. 

Most recently, after Gauff won the U.S. Open, she dropped to her knees and closed her eyes for a minute as she silently talked to God. In an interview following her match, Gauff said, “I was just saying thank you to God, I don’t pray for results. I just ask that I get the strength to give me it all. Whatever happens, happens. I’m so blessed in this life. I’m just thankful for this moment”(Decision Magazine). Gauff continues explaining how her Christian life encourages her and gives her hope throughout her tennis career. During hard times throughout her career, Gauff looks towards God for strength and guidance. He has guided her through the adversity she’s had to overcome, and she thanks God for covering for her during times of struggle. 

Gauff is ultimately thankful to God, who has given her these amazing opportunities. Something unique about Gauff compared to many other young athletes is that she is very open about her Christian faith. As a young role model for many, she is seen as a respectable athlete that young kids look up to, and incorporating faith in her tennis career encourages many. Gauff is an inspiration to us, and we will definitely be seeing more of her in upcoming years.

Coco Gauff wins the U.S Open for her first grand slam title at age 19. (NPR)