Dons LAX team laps La Jolla

Kim Winship

CCHS lacrosse player Connor Mataczynsky ‘18 dodges an opposing player attempt to give the Dons a lead in its close game against the Vikings.

Drew Hemerick, Staff Writer

Securing another victory to end its season 10-10, the Cathedral Catholic High School varsity lacrosse team powered through its last regular season game recently to defeat the La Jolla High School Vikings 14-7.

“We played well as a team, especially without two of our senior captains on offense,” CCHS Head Coach Chad Hanlock said. “We’ll use that momentum to come together as a team and make our push toward the Open Division CIF Championship.”

Missing team captains Morrison Mirer ‘17 and Liam Cavanaugh ‘17 due to injuries and illness, the Dons relied on its underclassmen to prevail against the LJHS.

The first half got off to a slow start for the Dons with LJHS striking the first goal within the first six minutes of the contest. The Dons offense struggled to move the ball until CCHS player Oliver Mirer ‘19, a University of Michigan commit, dodged a defender and fired in a ball around the goalie’s hips to tie the game 1-1.

The defense was solid with CCHS goalie Garrett Lombardi ‘18 accumulating seven impressive saves against a determined LJHS offense to preserve the win for the Dons.

In addition to Oliver Mirer, CCHS players Alex Fairman ‘18, Casey McGrath ‘18, and Jackson Schneider ‘18 kept the momentum going with effective, consistent passing.

The Vikings failed to take advantage of its many attempts to score. The Dons maintained a strong defense, holding LJHS at bay for the remainder of the first half.

CCHS player Connor Mataczynsky ’18, a Jacksonville University commit, and fellow teammate Josh Tauss ‘18 each scored two goals to end the half with the Dons leading 5-1.

The second half kicked off with CCHS player Marcus Yandall ‘17, an Elmhurst College commit, driving in a goal on an assist from teammate Alexander Fairman ’19. The following series of face-offs were not in favor of the Dons, and LJHS proceeded to score three consecutive goals.

The Dons regrouped after a timeout, destroying the Vikings offense with a stream of goals by Tauss and teammate Peyton Rezanka ‘18.

The Dons defense remained solid with its goalie Lombardi accumulating seven impressive saves against a determined Vikings offense to preserve the win for the Dons.

[EDITOR’S NOTE: The CCHS varsity lacrosse team concluded its season last Saturday by losing to Coronado High School 15-8 in the quarterfinals of the CIF Championship Open Division.]