People on campus weigh in on new quad tables

Vanessa Green, Staff Writer

After months of watching students stand around or even sit on the pavement at lunchtime, administration has made a huge change. Cathedral Catholic students returned from Christmas Vacation to find brand new lunch tables filling the quad. (Get the full scoop here!)

The new tables, red with yellow umbrellas, have become home to many students during lunch and break time, and to teachers during their prep periods. “Sometimes I get tired of spending my whole prep block alone in my classroom, so it is nice to go outside to the tables to experience a change of scenery and to get some sun,” said English teacher Ms. Sara Osmus. She also plans to take her students outside to the tables during class for independent reading time this spring.

Groups of students who would normally sit on the benches in the quad love having more room for eating and socializing. “My group has more space now that there are tables in the quad. Instead of all trying to sit on one small bench, we have a full table to use and a bench,” said freshman volleyball player Jaalyn Sotoa. Students who formerly sat on the cement benches that are scattered throughout the quad can move to tables where they can find shade from the sun on warm days.

The added tables have allowed for more students to have real seating and also to stop taking seats in the library from students who truly need to use that facility at lunchtime. “There has been a reduced volume of students in the library at break and at lunch since the new tables have been added to the campus; however the library still fills up. I think that the new tables are nice visually because they add color to our campus. They are a nice option for students who otherwise would not have a place to sit at break and lunch,” said Study Hall moderator Mr. Chuck Gustafson.

Seniors rarely have a problem finding seating during break and lunch; however, they still have expressed concern in the past over the lack of seating, especially for underclassmen. “The quad tables have allowed more students to have a place to sit at lunch, which is fantastic. I think they’re a great addition to the school!” said senior Alex Wilkins. “I wish they weren’t so bright red compared to the older ones because they remind me of clown tables, but I guess the new tables’ colors show great school spirit.”