Mr. Hill invites students to become a part of the CCHS Student Exchange Program to Argentina

Julia Way, News Editor

Few students know that Cathedral Catholic High School has a sister school in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and even fewer know about the Cathedral Catholic Student Exchange Program.

Cathedral’s sister school, La Nuestra Señora de las Nieves, is located in the heart of Buenos Aires. Passionate about cultural and linguistic immersion, Mr. Preston Hill hopes Cathedral students will express an interest in either hosting a student from “las Nieves” or visiting Argentina next summer through Cathedral’s exchange program.

“La Nuestra Señora de las Nieves sends students to our school in January every year for about four weeks, and a Cathedral Catholic student is able to host one of the students,” Mr. Hill said.

Though the foreign language department is still in the process of updating the application to become a host family, Mr. Hill invites interested students to email him or stop by Cabrini 207 to speak with him in person.

“If you have a passion for Spanish… and you’re improving on a daily basis, then I think this is a really great opportunity to immerse yourself,” Mr. Hill said.

Completing Spanish 2 is the suggested prerequisite to take part in the program, as Spanish 2 students have “the Spanish 1 background and foundation, but also the higher linguistic skills taught in Spanish 2,” Mr. Hill said.

If students are unable to host one of the students from “las Nieves” in January, Mr. Hill encourages Cathedral students to consider being a part of the summer trip down in Buenos Aires.

“During the summer, we take students from CCHS down to Argentina for another great opportunity to immerse themselves linguistically and learn about the cultural history,” Mr. Hill said.

In July, Cathedral students will have the opportunity to visit Argentina through the exchange program. They will live with families from La Nuestra de Las Nieves, one of the largest parochial schools in Buenos Aires. Mr. Hill, who spent his past summer break in Buenos Aires, will accompany students on the trip.

“I went there this summer to get to know the country; the famous places, the history the culture. That way I can share it with Cathedral students next summer,” Mr. Hill said.

However, Cathedral isn’t La Nuestra Señora de las Nieves’ only sister school. Pope John Paul II High School in Nashville, Tenn., where former Cathedral principal, Mr. Mike Deely, currently serves as Headmaster, also participates in an exchange program with “las Nieves”.

“Father Adolfo (President of La Nuestra Señora de las Nieves) has two different groups,” Mr. Hill said. “One comes here and one goes to Mr. Deely’s new school. So we’re already seeing the program grow.”

Applications to be a host family will be available soon, and applications for the trip to Buenos Aires next summer will be available in the coming months. Whether it’s hosting a student or making the trip to Argentina, Mr. Hill hopes Cathedral students show an interest in taking part in the Cathedral Catholic High School Student Exchange Program.

“Students can gain so much from this program, like cultural awareness, improved linguistics, and most importantly, lifelong friends,” Mr. Hill said.