“Praise and worship” to foster connectivity and unity among student body

Monica Inoue, Spiritual Life Editor

Today, Cathedral Catholic High School students will gather in the Claver Center for a school-wide praise and worship session, an event that will focus on the themes of mercy, forgiveness, and family.

Freshmen and sophomores will attend the event during their Gold 6 blocks, while juniors and seniors will gather during their Gold 4 blocks.

“Participation is always helpful,” Campus Minister Alyssa Connolly, who will be participating in the event, said. “The four years in high school go by really quickly, so make the most out of your opportunities.”

During a time when students are caught up in their busy school year routines, when spirituality starts dwindling, praise and worship is a chance for the students to gather as a student body and sing, worshipping God as one community.

“It’s cool that the classes get together,” Schola Campus Minster Donovan Enriquez said. “[Praise and Worship] is not necessarily a Mass, but a more informal way to pray.”

Although students can sing and worship in their unique ways, they are encouraged to participate as a whole community in order to unify their faith. If everyone sings, then no single voice can be distinguished, and community is built around prayer.

“Don’t be afraid to sing,” Enriquez said. “If other people sing, there is a domino effect and the voices will blend.”

The Schola Campus Ministers, who have been preparing for this event since the beginning of the year, will lead the praise and worship sessions. The Campus Ministers initially chose, and have been practicing the various songs for the event.

“It is about our community as one large family and how we express mercy to others,” Director of Music Ministry and Campus Ministry Ensembles, Mr. Pat Robell, said regarding the theme of this year’s praise and worship session.

As a family, it is important that students sing together as one student body and support each other.

“Music is so powerful,” Mr. Robell said. “It touches us, but we can’t touch it. So once the song is over, we want to sustain the connectivity and the unity beyond when we go back to class. Hopefully [Praise and Worship] is a rewarding experience that leads us in the right direction.”

Praise and Worship acts as an opportunity for students to foster their relationship with God and each other. Music and prayer can play a significant role in a person’s spiritual life. Students are highly encouraged to participate in this year’s praise and worship session.