Senior’s band, Burn Out Kids, moves forward

The name of one-of-a-kind punk rock band, Burn Out Kids, says exactly what they stand for. It all began with senior Shaker Kattoula, lead singer and guitarist who was inspired to start a band.

As he was searching for musicians on Craigslist, he found a drummer named Fletcher Mitchel. They began working together and became a two-person band for one year.

Throughout this time, they were searching for another member. Shaker then thought it would better if his younger brother Lawrence joined them, and that’s how Burn Out Kids came to be.

They have been inspired by Green Day, Blink 182, Rancid, and many other punk rock bands.

Most of their music is about past relationships, since, they said, those are always the hardest to deal with.

Shaker says, “It’s a way to express my real life feelings by screaming what I am thinking into a microphone.”

The band hasn’t produced an album yet, but they released their first EP (extended play), which has five tracks on it.

Burn Out Kids also recently wrote and played a song in honor of Cathedral graduate Derek Thomas called “D-Rock” that they just put on their Facebook page for everyone to see.

The band has been together for two years now, and is still taking their music to the next level. Students may check out Burn Out Kids at Epicenter, Soma, and Jumping Turtle.