Bishop McElroy knows strong families means strong CCHS

After an interview at USD regarding a variety of topics, El Cid staff writer Lauryn Sanchez poses for a picture with Bishop Robert McElroy .

Lauryn Sanchez, Staff Writer

If there was one subject San Diego Bishop Robert W. McElroy especially enjoyed hearing Pope Francis discuss during his recent visit to the United States, it most certainly was the Pontiff’s message regarding family and inclusion, which in turn provides Cathedral Catholic High School a call to advance the virtues of living as a welcoming community.

“One of the core elements is to have God at the center, to have solidarity, and to reach out to the marginalized in the community,” Bishop McElroy said, in a recent interview with El Cid. “Everyone needs to feel like a member of that family and to be given respect. They should have what Pope Francis calls an “‘encounter, real dialogue.'”

CCHS, considering its mission and philosophy, focuses on its connection to God and family, demonstrated by the all-school masses, L.I.G.H.T. groups, spiritual direction and campus ministry classes. As a way to advance these efforts, Bishop McElroy encouraged the CCHS community to be as inclusive as possible in all its actions, echoing Pope Francis’ recent comments aimed toward ensuring every person’s voice and diginity in the community.  

CCHS, with students coming from different experiences, is called to extend Francis’ message of love. The Pope has called for the Church to be more accepting of diversity, specifically of the nonreligious and those individuals facing divorce.

Bishop McElroy, in support of the pope’s notion, challenges families to extend love to their diverse members. As a Catholic family, students at CCHS are called to embrace this message of love.

“We must reiterate that such families are not rejected, nor are their children,” Bishop McElroy said. “They are equal members of the Church and in our spiritual formation.”

For  many CCHS students, these words bring relief.

“It’s very comforting to hear the Bishop’s words on divorce,” sophomore Becky Veit said. “My parents divorced, but there hasn’t been any strain on their relationship with the Church or Cathedral.”

Many CCHS students dealing with divorce or other issues find solace and comfort at Sturdy Wings meetings. Led by Fr. Martin Latiff, the campus group Sturdy Wings provides support and counsel to students coping with various personal and family issues, offering them a solid, safe environment to work through their obstacles.

Besides the health of families, Bishop McElroy also worries about the sustainability of life on Earth, even recently supporting environmental preservation efforts aimed at reversing this planet’s ecological decline. This broad topic connects all people, with the Earth serving as a home and a “gift from our creator,” Bishop McElroy said.

This mission is something a united family can work on together, shown by the CCHS Environmental Club.

“Each of us can focus on our everyday impact on the environment by conserving our energy and water use,” Environmental Club leader Erin McConville said. “On campus, our club is responsible for recycling every Friday after school, and anyone is welcome to help us!”

Bishop McElroy’s insight regarding school unity through the common goal of protecting the family and nature is something for CCHS to meditate on and continue to act upon as students nurture present relationships and establish future ones.