Dons drop home opener to Falcons

Dons drop home opener to Falcons

On Friday, September 7, 2012, the Dons football team kicked off its home opener against Del Mar Heights rival, the Torrey Pines Falcons. Manchester Stadium was packed with energy and excitement from both parents and students as the “Sea of Red” had a red-out for the opener.

The Dons got off to a slow start when a pass from senior quarterback Garrett Bogart was intercepted deep in Dons territory and returned for a Falcons touchdown. Unfortunately, Bogart was pressured with blitz packages all night from the Falcons and was eventually sacked five times on the night.

But, the Dons bounced back at the end of the first quarter when senior running back, Tony Johnson scampered in for 6. The Dons added on and took a 10-7 lead as kicker Christian Fanning hit a  deep field goal as time expired in the first half.

Eventually the Dons took a 10 point lead after the third quarter when Garrett Bogart hit senior wide receiver and basketball star Xavier Williams on a six-yard completion for a touchdown.

Entering the fourth quarter, the Falcons refused to quit and stormed back to tie the game at 17-17, while shutting down the Dons attack by forcing three straight three-and-outs. With one minute remaining in the game, the Falcons broke a thirty yard run on fourth and one to cap 17 unanswered points to take the lead 24-17 late.

The Dons were down to one last prayer with seven seconds to go near the fifty yard line when Garrett Bogart looked again for Williams in the end zone. Unfortunately, the pass fell incomplete.

The Dons drop to 1-1 on the year but are looking forward to bouncing back next week as they host the Helix Highlanders (2-0) on Friday, September 14th. Although the Falcons claim Del Mar Heights supremacy for this year, the Dons look forward to another successful year, and a possible sixth straight CIF title.

View Comments (1)

• B

Bill SlaneSep 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Sad to see the Dons lose the battle of Del Mar Heights road. I know it won’t matter to the team when they put on those CIF rings, though. This Friday will be tough against Helix; they beat us pretty good last year.

Reply
Dons drop home opener to Falcons