Wrestling Team Pins Down Great Season, Looks to Future

After the buzzer sounded on their season, the boys of Cathedral’s wrestling team were proud to look back on their achievements. Despite a team record of 11-12, there were many personal bests and CIF victories.

Senior Richard Albanese, a wrestler in the 145 pound weight class said, “We were stronger this year as individuals than we were in the team rankings.” After all, wrestling is a largely individual sport.

Team points are awarded for participation in tournaments in addition to competition performance, and are sometimes not a proper representation of the skill of the wrestlers on the team. A team must accrue a certain number of points to qualify for the CIF tournament. Depending on a wrestler’s performance in CIF, he will be invited to the Master’s Tournament, and the winners being sent to compete in State.

SOME STAR GRAPPLERS FOR 2012

(All photos are from the Februaty 2 dual meet where the Dons thrashed St. Augustine 48 – 24.)

Cameron Chaves, junior, placed third in CIF in the 138-pound class

and participated in the Master’s Tournament.

Mitchell January, junior, placed 1st in CIF in the 145-pound class;

however, he was unable to compete further due to a season-ending staph infection.

Scott McElhaney, senior, made it to the CIF playoffs in the 128-pound class.

Jacob Wattson, sophomore,  (no photo available) placed 4th in CIF in the 122-pound class.

NEXT YEAR

The team is looking forward to having even greater success next year, as many of its dominant wrestlers are underclassmen. The athletes have learned techniques and training secrets from the more seasoned seniors and feel ready to lead the team next year.

Sophomore Kyle Davis (left) and freshman Peter Haddad (right) are two fine wrestlers to watch for next year.

Some of the team’s success this year can be attributed to coaches Jason Gigliotti,  Ron Ingram, and Mike Wallace along with the addition of  “Coach AJ.” who wrestled for the Army National team and has brought an extensive knowledge of proven moves to the Cathedral team, along with his no nonsense military attitude.

The team looks to expand its tournament attendance next year, with a chance to travel to Nipomo, a city close to San Luis Obispo, where the wrestlers can face off with some of the best wrestlers Northern California has to offer.

As successful as this year war, the Dons wrestling fans can be sure to mark their calendars to attend next year’s tournaments in order to watch the Dons grapple their way to what promises to be a strong team finish.