Xavier Williams shines on the basketball court

Since the young age of five, junior Xavier Williams has been a star on the basketball court.

When he was nine years old, his parents registered him on a travel team because of his skill and competitive attitude.

For the past three years, Xavier has starred as point forward on Cathedral Catholic’s basketball team.
As a freshman, Williams played on the Cathedral football team as well. But, he said, he knew his purpose in life – basketball. In the end, he chose basketball over football.

“After summer of freshman year, I had a lot of fun and decided I wanted to play basketball in college,” he said.  “I felt no reason to play both.”

This dedication has helped him focus on his main goals, doing well in school and basketball.  Xavier has become accustomed to waking up early for 6:00 AM practices.

To prepare for games, he said, “I take a two and a half hour nap and listen to music.”

Getting plenty of rest and listening to songs by famous rappers like Drake and Big Sean calm his nerves for games. Clearly, his tactics work.  Xavier averages sixteen to eighteen points per game.
Xavier took extra mental preparation for the big game against St. Augustine.   He said that after defeating Saints, he felt accomplished.

Williams feels that the team bond between the junior athletes is special, especially since they will be playing together next year, as well.

But this year is special, too.  Xavier said, “We are all competitive, so we want to win, but we make it fun.”  Through the team’s friendship and competitiveness they have been able to rack up twenty six wins and only three loses.