Soccer stars receive college scholarships

Many of Cathedral Catholic’s sports stars that are graduating this spring plan to play sports in college.  A large number of CCHS soccer players, both boys and girls, have received scholarships from prestigious universities all over the country.

Girls soccer has more NCAA-bound athletes than any other sport at CCHS. Following a great year in which it came up just short of a CIF championship, Coach Dawn Roberts soccer team will be well represented at many universities all over America. Midfielder Christina Eichinger is going to California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo next year to continue her soccer career. “They have a really good business school and the area is nice and close to the beach. Plus, I don’t mind that there are a lot of parties there and that a lot of my good friends are going.” said Eichinger.

Also staying on the west coast are Jamie Schnieders and Ella Jasper, who are continuing their careers at Washington State University and San Diego Christian College, respectively

Seniors soccer players that are leaving San Diego and the west coast entirely are Kendall Kraus and Mauri Harrison.

Kendall is going to Dartmouth University to play in the Ivy League and is excited about the new experiences ahead of her.  She said, “I am so excited to experience a new area and weather and especially to play soccer! Go Big Green.”

Mauri Harrison, will be taking her talents to the College of Charleston, in Charleston, South Carolina. Mauri is very excited about all that her future college has to offer.  “College of Charleston is the perfect combination of high academic standards and a competitive soccer program in an awesome city!”

The boys’ soccer team is also sending many of its athletes to universities all around the country. Dylan Stafford is continuing his soccer career at Sonoma State University, and he said he is “…very excited to be playing soccer in college and to become a Sonoma State Seawolf.”

Mike Semenza will play soccer for St. Mary’s College in Moraga, California.  Mike said, “I look forward to being a St. Mary’s College of California Gale and, hopefully being really successful. I hope we can accomplish all of our goals.”

One of the few soccer-playing seniors staying in his hometown is Jacob Holt who will be continuing his education at the University of San Diego. Jacob said, “I’m looking forward to going to USD and becoming a Torero. I’m hoping to get a better education there.”

Finally, Colin Maehler is traveling all the way to Allentown, Pennsylvania to become a Muhlenberg College Mule. Colin said he is “really excited.”