November can’t miss

Kelsey Bacinett

With a change of weather and time, November holds a myriad of events, from CIF playoffs the most notable supermoon in nearly 70 years.

Kelsey Bacinett, Editor-in-Chief

With the crinkling of golden-colored leaves on the ground and pumpkin spice lattes cupped by cold hands, fall finally has arrived to San Diego during the first week of November. At the same time, Christmas is less than 50 days away, and fall will transform into holiday spirit with the ring of silver bells and smell of pine drifting through the air.

In order for the Cathedral Catholic High School Dons to stay up to date this month with all matters around campus, the community, and beyond, El Cid has composed the list below of can’t-miss November events and happenings.

CCHS

Nov. 4-6: Under the wings of Ms. Katie Wilson, the CCHS drama department takes on Jane Austen’s classic novel “Pride and Prejudice” this weekend with four shows that will give new life to Austen’s seventeenth century tale filled with romance and wit.

“Actors have been working tirelessly for hours on the play, we have an amazingly talented tech crew, and a phenomenal set,” CCHS drama actress Nicky Shanks ‘17 said. “In addition to our entire crew, our leads Sophie Otto and Nick Garcia are stars who truly care about this show. The rest of the crew can’t wait to show everyone what we’ve been working on.”

Nov. 4: The CCHS Dons varsity football, cheer, and dance teams will be recognized during the Senior Night game on Friday. Fans have the opportunity to witness the boys fight to maintain their status as the No. 1 football team in San Diego as they take on Madison High School at Manchester Stadium at 7 p.m. in the last game of the regular season.

In addition, the varsity boys water polo will play Vista High School at 5:30 p.m. for the Dons’ Senior Night game, battling to uphold their status as the No. 1 team in San Diego. Varsity girls field hockey and volleyball both have away games.

Nov. 9: Seniors will officially commit to play collegiate-level athletics during the National Letter of Intent and Commitment Breakfast that will be held in the USDHS Library. The celebration includes any early signings for sports besides football, soccer, and boys water polo.

Nov. 11: In honor of Veteran’s Day, there is no school.

Nov. 12: With winter creeping up to the horizon, CCHS will transition from one season of sports to the next with winter sports tryouts. The Athletic Office reminds students to obtain their clearance card before beginning any practices or showing up for tryouts.

Nov. 21-25: Dons have the entire week to rest, finalize their college applications, and feel grateful during Thanksgiving Break.

Nov. 28: Grandparents’ Day for freshman and seniors takes place the Monday after fall break.

CCHS community and beyond

Nov. 5: Working to reach the best of their academic abilities for college admissions, various Dons will sit down to take SAT Saturday morning.

Nov. 6: This Sunday at 2 a.m. marks the Daylight Saving change for fall, moving the clocks back one hour. The time change means the sun will set earlier and the winter days feel shorter. Historically, the roots of Daylight Saving remains unclear. Some researchers believe that the founding father Benjamin Franklin dreamed the concept up in the 1700s.

Nov. 8: Election Day takes place this Tuesday. After about a year and a half of campaigning from the 2016 presidential nominees, America will finally hear an answer on who will serve as the next leader of the nation. According to the Pew Research Center, only 19 percent of millennials voted in the 2014 election, a small fraction when though those in the millennial generation ages 18-35 represent as large as a political force as the Baby Boomers.

However, this election marks the first time the vast majority of the millennial generation will be of legal voting age, including CCHS students like Calvin Raab ‘17, who turned 18 just days before Election Day.

“I am very excited to vote in this election and participate in the political process,” Raab said. “I am excited to vote for who I believe will lead this country in the best direction. It is one of the greatest things about this country, the fact that everyone has a say in who they wish to have lead the free world.”

Nov. 11: The Taurid Meteor Shower will sprinkle 10 to 15 shooting stars an hour in clear skies when it peaks at 5 a.m. on Nov. 11. The meteors forming the shooting stars will fall from the constellation Taurus, hence the name of the phenomena.

Nov. 14: The biggest supermoon of the 21st century will shine in the sky this month. According to CNN, a supermoon looks 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than other full moons because the moon coincidentally becomes its fullest while its elliptical orbit reaches its closest point to Earth.

Nov. 16: Another meteor shower, the Leonid Meteor Shower, will radiate across the skies during the early morning of Nov. 16. Stardust will glitter in clear skies from the constellation Leo, peaking at 10 to 20 shooting stars visible an hour in dark, countryside locations.