Campus Ministry changes to embrace spirit of inclusivity

Photo by CCHS ASB

Cathedral Catholic High School Campus Ministers gather for a picture father the Ash Wednesday Liturgy. Next year, Campus Ministry will add another class, Campus Outreach, in addition to the Liturgy, Service, and Retreat branches.

Melissa Vorndran, Copy Editor

Arriving at 7 a.m. every Friday, the group of Campus Ministers making its way to Mass is a typical sight on the Cathedral Catholic High School Campus. These students arrive before school and gather with their fellow Ministers to celebrate a Liturgy before the week is over, praying for the entire school community.

In addition to many other activities, this practice is a central tenet of the CCHS Campus Ministry program.

Currently, the Campus Ministry Program has four sections, with Service and Schola available to both Seniors and Juniors, Liturgy available to Juniors and Retreats for Seniors.

Next year, however, the program strives to be more inclusive, according to CCHS Principal Mr. Kevin Calkins.

Although the ministries will still only be available to upperclassmen, there will be more opportunities to serve. Rather than apply into a single branch, such as Retreat or Service, students apply for the Campus Ministry program as a whole. Then, they are placed into whichever ministry the Campus Ministry teachers feel is most appropriate for each student.

The most unique aspect of the program, according to Mr. Calkins, is that it will find a place for anyone who meets the prerequisites of a 2.75 GPA and the completion of the application.

“In the past, we had a limit on how many students we could accept, which made it exclusive,” Mr. Calkins said. “My strong feeling is that if the students want to serve, we need to embrace that.”

A a result, students will be unable to choose which ministry they are applying into, which has stirred some anxiety among students.

“I don’t really like the uncertainty and lack of control for next year,” Cristina Pedler ‘18 said. “It’s a great program, but I would love to have more of a choice.”

As always, students have the option of opting out of the Campus Ministry program if they feel especially negative about their assigned ministry. However, the goal is to find the right fit for students without fostering an exclusive mentality that can lead to competitive spirits between the different branches of ministry.

“We really wanted to remove cliques and help foster the spirit of Campus Ministry,” Principal Calkins said.

While some students feel called to a specific ministry, they plan to embrace the changes to the program.

“Even though I would prefer to get into retreat, I’m just excited to be in Campus Ministry again,” Emmeline Polis ‘17 said. “Campus Ministry is such a great opportunity to help others and yourself grow in faith.”

Other students share this sentiment and many are expected to apply, according to Mrs. Sandy Blackstone-Gardner. In order to handle this influx of students, a new class has been created.

“If enough students apply and are eligible for Campus Ministry, we will have a Campus Outreach class,” Religion Department Chair Mrs. Blackstone-Gardner said. “Campus Outreach is where we would plan XLT worship nights, Bible studies and other opportunities for community on campus.”

Currently, Ms. Marie Lopez plans the XLT nights, which are mostly frequented by Campus Ministers, but open to the whole community. Occasionally, members of the Schola Choir provide music for the worship nights.

Next year, however, this may not be the case.

“Schola Choir is moving from the religion department into the visual and performing arts department,” Director of Music Ministry Mr. Pat Robell said. “It will no longer be a part of Campus Ministry.”

The change in Schola was motivated by inclusivity as well.

“We really want to build our choir program, as well as our VAPA department,” Principal Calkins said.

According to Mr. Robell, choir will be open to all students. Entrance into the class requires an audition, but not an application. As choir moves into the VAPA department, it becomes an elective, which will not give religion credit.

“Those currently in Schola who participate next year will receive religion credit, but newcomers will only receive VAPA credit,” Mr. Robell said.

Choir will continue serving at school liturgies, but in a slightly different way. School liturgies will be increased to twice a month, with choir participating in a minimum of one, Mr. Calkins said.

“We might have a cantor at one mass, and choir at another,” Mr. Calkins said. “It’s up to how Mr. Robell and Ms. Swift want to have it.”

The potential removal of a choir leading the congregation has caused some unsettlement within students currently in Schola.

“I feel like Schola should still be a part of Campus Ministry,” Kimmy Kelly ‘17 said. “I’m a little nervous for next year.”

With choir’s focus moved away from its liturgical duties, choir students will have the opportunity to pursue music that is secular.

“If you’re interested in singing or doing music at school, choir, band, or orchestra will work great for you,” Mrs. Blackstone-Gardner said.

Students who want to both sing in the choir and be involved in Campus Ministry are able to apply for Campus Ministry and be placed in an appropriate class.

“Being a Catholic School, Campus Ministry is a great opportunity for all to come together and serve,” Mrs. Blackstone-Gardner said.

Campus Ministry applications are available here. The application window is open until 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9.