Softball exceeds expectations, almost “stealing” CIF Championship

Softball exceeds expectations, almost stealing  CIF Championship

On Saturday, May 25 the Lady Dons Softball team lost a “hard fought” Division 3 Championship game 4-2 to Santana, according to Varsity coach Ms. Margaret Mauro. Despite the loss, Assistant Coach Mr. Joe Kilroy believes the team exceeded expectations, winning their division in the Cougar Classic, and the Western league championship by a landslide posting a 11- 1 record.

Ms. Mauro attributes the young team’s success to a “collective team effort” and their much improved defense. Returning players led the team, and key freshman players, pitcher Devyn Magnett, catcher Madison Casiano and right fielder, Samatha Gonzales “just did their job”.  The infield was anchored by shortstop junior Hannah Gilliland.

As their success grows, so too does their fan base. Supportive parents cheer them on, and the football team even attended their game against San Dieguito High School to add some real spirit to the crowd.

However, they faced the challenge of realizing “just how good they could be”, according to Ms. Mauro. Though, once the “girls bought into concept” says Mr. Kilroy, they were able to unite as one. With no major losses besides a league game to Point Loma High School, the team seems strong than ever.

Despite their success, Mr. Kilroy says they are a fun group, not a “ground-them-out team”.

As for next year, Ms. Mauro plans to focus on keeping the young team “grounded and on track”.