First win boosts Dons football’s confidence

Last Friday night, September 24, the Cathedral Catholic Dons pulled out their first win of the season against the Carlsbad High School Lancers 16-6 and, in doing so, boosted the morale of the whole school as well as raising the confidence of the team itself.

“Getting a win feels great, because it was depressing going home after every game and having to say to myself ‘There’s always next week,’” said senior offensive lineman Drew Vecchio.

“The practices before the game were significantly better. We focused on playing to whistles, finishing our blocks, and just upping the offense in general.”

The offense definitely stepped up their game and was able to put up 16 points on the Lancers’ defense.

On offense, sophomore quarterback Garrett Bogart threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to senior Chance Early, and senior kicker Jacob Roman scored a 3-point field goal to end the second quarter with a score of 9-0.

To increase the distance between the Dons and the Lancers, Bogart threw another touchdown pass to Early, this time from 14 yards, and Roman sealed the deal with the extra point. Unable to keep up, the Lancers were left trailing by 10 points.

There was no doubt in the minds of the players that the team was capable of succeeding. The Dons have been steadily improving their game since the start of the season and will hopefully continue their legacy of victory in past years.

“That last game showed how well we can play and that we are just as good as any other team out there,” said Vecchio.  “We look great for the rest of the season and we’re looking to bring many home many more wins.”

Despite the impressive victory, the Dons look to improve and get another victory against the No. 3 team in the county, Eastlake High School. Eastlake has had a good season so far this year, accumulating a record of 4-0.

However, Eastlake struggled last week against Steele Canyon, a team that many Dons believe they would beat if they played again.

“ With our improved practices and our new demeanor, we would certainly be able to put out a better performance against Steele Canyon than we did 3 weeks ago,” said Vecchio.