Matter of preference

Mercy Sosa, Social Media Editor

From hardcore comic fans to people just looking for non-stop entertainment, DC Comic’s Justice League delivers a superhero movie that leaves some moviegoers satisfied, while causing other movie buffs to run for the exit.

“I’m not really interested in seeing this movie,” Cathedral Catholic High School student Rachel Carrillo ‘19 said. “I am more of a Marvel fan. I feel like their movies draw me in more.”

Justice League, which stars Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Ezra Miller as The Flash, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, and Ray Fisher as The Cyborg, was criticized instantly by movie critics, receiving a 40 percent rating, according to the Rotten Tomatoes.

Like professional critics, CCHS students hold their own concerns about Justice League.

According to an El Cid Twitter poll, 50 percent of students love the movie, 36 percent harbor no specific feelings, and 14 percent dislike it.

“I feel like DC doesn’t tell stories well and depend only only on CGI and action, which does nothing for me, leading me to be bored for the entire movie,” CCHS students Kyra Schaffer ’19 said.

This criticism is often repeated, but is not universal as some students argue in favor of the film. When it comes to comic-based films, people compare DC movies to movies from the Marvel universe, with some people preferring Batman while other people prefer Spiderman.

“I was very intrigued and think people sometimes criticize too much on something that is supposed to entertain,” CCHS students Kiya Jordan ’19 said.

Like Jordan, this critic enjoyed the film based solely on its entertainment value.

I contend the into is a little too long, playing a song that does not suit the film’s atmosphere. However, once the movie hits its stride, I was entertained by the movie’s the story line, which revolves around the classic battle between good and evil, with Batman and Wonder Woman having to recruit other superheroes to save the world.

The movie features a lot of humor, specifically coming from Mr. Miller’s character The Flash, who I think portrays the character well and Mrs. Gadot’s Wonder Woman, who always brings a sense of compassion to viewers. Other characters, such as Superman, Cyborg, and Aquaman, do not have bad interpretations, but they fail to stand out as much to me.

However, Mr. Affleck’s Batman seems a little off to me. Although Mr. Affleck is not a bad actor in my mind, he personally does not fit the role of Batman as well as past interpretations by Christian Bale in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Overall, I think the acting in this movie rates as at least a B+.

The action scenes also are intriguing with Batman and his machines, Cyborg with his growing capabilities, Wonder Woman with her astound fighting skills, Aquaman with his underwater battle scenes, and Superman with his undefeated record intact.

As technology evolves, editors of Superhero movies enjoy more freedom in making comic books real. To me, the CGI in the movie does not seem fake, but in some instances does stand out. Many critics echo this sentiment as a result of past DC movies, which are condemned as  “disappointments,” excluding that of Wonder Woman, which received high praise and a 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Marvel has received mixed reviews in the past years, but overall it garners better reviews than movies from the DC Comics universe.

Justice League is an example of the highly presented condemnations from individuals toward a movie that is only supposed to entertain, but not to be held to high standards worthy of an Academy Award.