Everyone encouraged to participate in Thanksgiving run

Father Joe’s Thanksgiving run is this Thursday, November 28th.  All are welcome and encouraged to join this race for a great cause.

This holiday opportunity will take place on Thanksgiving day in Balboa Park at 7:45 a.m. Thursday morning. Runners will not only be able to benefit Father Joe’s Village, but also get the morning off to a healthy start.

The run is 5 kilometers (timed or not timed) long, and all the money raised will go directly to Father Joe’s Village.

“The money will support all of the work of Fr. Joe’s Villages, which includes feeding the homeless, educating the homeless, the Touissant Teen Center, the medical center and more,” said Ms. Dawn Brannman, Director of Christian Services.

“St. Vincent de Paul (also known as Fr. Joe’s Village or SVDP) is a one-of-a-kind organization that helps the homeless. It is one-of-a-kind because Fr. Joe’s vision was to have everything that would help the homeless in one place,” said Mrs. Brannman.

Additionally, Mrs. Brannman cites the importance of this organization in regard to God’s call for all His people.

She said,  “St. Vincent de Paul offers a comprehensive program to change the lives of the homeless. Equally important is the belief at SVDP that each person is created in the image and likeness of God and therefore must be treated with dignity.”

“Fifteen members have already signed up on our team so far, but it would be great to have at least 25 members. That could be a Cathedral goal!” she said.

Juniors and Sophomores have served at SVDP, and all of the current freshmen will serve there this year. Mrs. Brannman said that it takes about 50,000 dollars a day to run the villages. “Our Advent Drive will also support Saint Vincent de Paul, and our goal for that is $12,000

Click here for more information on the event.