Speaker Ennis Jackson warns against destructive decisions

“Life is too short to die by a choice.” These were the words of paramedic, firefighter, and Navy veteran Ennis Jackson, who returned to speak to Cathedral Catholic sophomores on October 23 and 24 in the Lecture Hall.

Brought in by the Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) Club for Red Ribbon Week, Jackson combined humor, heartbreaking anecdotes, and the element of fear to caution students about the abhorrent consequences of potentially negative choices.

Beginning on a light, facetious note, Jackson called on students to role-play seemingly entertaining scenarios, such as a teenager attempting to drive under the influence while being intercepted by his aggressive girlfriend.

Soon, however, the presentation undertook a gravely serious tone as wide-eyed students breathlessly watched gruesome footage of real life horror stories brought about by calamitous choices. Fiercely disturbing images flashed across the screen, the likes of which depicted deformed cars and mutilated corpses swimming in pools of blood.

Jackson took a quick survey. “By a show of hands, how many of you would call the police if someone you knew were about to drive while drunk?” he asked. When a grand total of two students raised their hands, he challenged, “Then how many of you would call the police if you knew the driver would hit a child?” Not a lowered hand could be seen in the room.

“Teenagers wait until it is too late to prevent something bad from happening,” he said. “You wait until it is too late to realize how important life is.”

Jackson then proceeded to relate his own experience with tragedy, as he recounted the heart-wrenching story of his fourteen-year-old daughter’s murder and rape. “Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,” he said. “Live every day like it is your last, and never forget to tell people how much you love them. That way, if tomorrow never comes, you won’t have any regrets like I do.”

With few dry eyes left in the house, Jackson ended on a more positive note as he told students how they should live their lives to the fullest, and never forget about the people that care about them. He said, “You have so much life left in you, waiting to be fulfilled. Just remember to never give up on yourself.”

Students reacted very enthusiastically to Jackson’s powerful message. “Very rarely can a speaker connect with his audience on such a great level while exemplifying the message he or she presents. Mr. Jackson affected every sophomore he spoke to, leading many to tears. I know that he has changed my life in a profound way,” said sophomore, Atticus McCoy.

Sophomore Emily Abdo said, “Ennis Jackson inspired us to think deeply about our actions and their consequences. His presentation was like none other I’ve experienced. While his talk was heart wrenching, I’m grateful to have listened to such a motivational speaker who will forever influence my decisions.

Jackson’s presentation prompted students to fully think through the consequences of choices that could drastically affect themselves and others. He said, “Set your priorities: life, success, achievement. Then, remember those priorities before you make a decision that could change your life forever. Nobody can tell you who to be. You have so much to offer- do not let everything just slip away.”

View Comments (5)
Nicole Lobo
Nicole Lobo, Editor-in-Chief
My name is Nicole-Ann Lobo, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of El Cid! I am very excited to continue my fourth year of journalism, and I hope to help make this paper the best in all of San Diego. My favorite things include classic rock, politics, literature, and the New York Times. I'm co-captain of both the Mock Trial and Speech & Debate teams, play badminton, and serve as an Executive Ambassador. My many passions in life include playing the piano, cooking, and traveling the world. I hope to double-major in political science and international relations before attending law school, and aspire to spend a year abroad in Europe. I can't wait for all that this year has to offer!

• V

VLOct 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Awesome job! You’ve captivated your readers with your poignant style.

Reply
  • E

Emily AbdoOct 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Awesome job! Your article is well written, and your quote selection is spot on 🙂

Reply
  • R

Riley PermitoOct 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Very, well-written, Nicole…Wow. How come you never told me we had a school newspaper?

Reply
  • A

Atticus McCoyOct 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Very well written Nicole! Your article perfectly captured the emotions we all had during the presentation.

Reply
  • M

Michael LeoneOct 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Good job Nicole! Although I still think my quote was better than Atticus’s 🙂

Reply