Mrs. Egan explains textbook provider switch

This year as summer ended and students began getting their school supplies and books, they may have noticed that the book ordering company had changed from last year. Mrs. Anne Egan, the Director of Curriculum here at CCHS, along with other CCHS staff, chose eCampus as the new company for students to order their books on.

CCHS’ contract with the old book company, MBS Direct, ended last year, and it was time to make a decision: stay with MBS Direct or find a more beneficial company. Mrs. Egan said that the school’s needs were progressing faster than MBS Direct could provide for them, so it was necessary for a change in book companies.

eCampus was chosen out of three potential book companies for the school because of its wider range of purchasing options and book suppliers. eCampus’ pricing was found to be more reasonable than MBS Direct’s. Also, all of eCampus’ titles are available to be rented, making their rental options more convenient for students. eCampus had a more exstensive supply of international contacts, publishers, and warehouses.

Ordering books for the school year always entails problems, such as late orders or shipping mishaps. Ordering off of eCampus is no exception.

“There are always going to be problems in communication on both ends,” said Mrs. Egan. Problems such as these are things that eCampus works to fix, so students and parents can have an effortless experience ordering books.

The prospect of the entire school’s use of iPads next year leaves one big question regarding textbooks: are students still going to need them? Some classes may require the use of only iPads while others may require the use of iPads and textbooks according to Mrs. Egan. Another reason why eCampus was chosen as the new book company was its supply of e-books. Their virtual library is extensive and evolving to satisfy the needs of schools turning more towards a technology centered learning environment. Just as regular textbooks, e-books vary in price.

“The price depends on the publisher,” said Mrs. Egan. The idea of our CCHS community evolving into a more technology centered learning place is an intriguing idea.

“I don’t see our society being 100% virtual,” said Mrs. Egan. “There’s always going to be the need for a book.”