Cathedral’s service program compared to other schools’

Cathedrals service program compared to other schools

As a student of Cathedral, have you ever wondered how our Christian Service program compares to other schools in the San Diego area?

Service, both Christian and community, is very important as it shapes our attitudes toward the value we hold for our lives and the lives of others. Cathedral Catholic offers a unique Christian Service program designed to help enhance our personal gifts and encourage us to put forth our time and talents to helping others in need.

The amount and intensity of volunteer hours varies indefinitely between different schools.

• The Bishop’s School requires 80 community service hours in order for a senior to graduate, and up to 50% of the hours may be completed on campus.
  • Carlsbad High School requires 20 hours of general community service for a student to graduate.
  • Torrey Pines High School does not require volunteer hours for graduation, but certain classes such as ASB do require community service.
  • J. Serra requires 20 hours of Christian service for each year a student attends the school.
  • Mater Dei provides students with a community service course and a Christian Service Club, but does not directly require students to complete hours in order to graduate.
  •  La Costa Canyon High School does not require community service for a student to graduate, but states that they encourage students to participate in acts of community service.
  • St. Augustine High School requires 25 hours of service for each year of high school, with strict guidelines for what can and cannot be counted towards the necessary hours.
  • The Academy of Our Lady of Peace requires 75 hours of service to be completed in order for a student to graduate.

CCHS requires 60 Christian Service hours for a student to graduate, and a minimum of 40 hours must be fulfilled by working directly with the poor/disadvantaged, children, and the sick/elderly. Visit the Cathedral website for further information on our service program and requirements.

Christian Service is essential to our development as balanced individuals. It is important to keep in mind that the true purpose of Christian Service is not to complete a requirement, but to give back and develop our God-given gifts and talents while helping others in need.