‘Spelling Bee’ a S-U-C-C-E-S-S (Slideshow)

Spelling Bee a S-U-C-C-E-S-S (Slideshow)

This year’s drama department started off with a crowd-pleasing hit when its first performance of the year commenced. Cathedral Catholic presented The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee on November 19-21, receiving standing ovations three nights in a row. Although nearby schools such as Canyon Crest Academy are producing the same play, Cathedral’s dedicated staff and talented stars were sure to outshine any opposing plays.

Senior Mike Mezzino, who played school principal Douglas Panch, said, “We practiced nearly every day, but beyond that commitment, what is really striking is just the sheer talent of the cast and crew; everyone was perfectly fitted into their niche.”

The actors knew that audience participation throughout the play, which revolved around a school spelling bee, was key to making everyone feel as if they were present in “Putnam County.”

Aside from crowd members taking part in the play, plenty of behind-the-scenes students made sure everything from costumes to props ran in an organized manner.

Lighting assistant, junior Linn Nguyen said, “In order for the show to run smoothly, it was mandatory that all of us knew the specifics on what we were doing and when and where to be during the production. I think we all worked together as a team, and that was one of our strong points.”

The CCHS drama techs were not the only ones working as a team – the actors and actresses on stage did, as well. With all talent coming together in one room, the expectations for each actor were set very high.

Junior Brianna Heller, who played spelling bee starlet Marcy Park, said, “I think this show is definitely one of the best Cathedral has ever put on. It took a while for the cast to really get it right, but the final product exceeded all of my expectations.”

Brianna was not the only one whose expectations were overcome – the crowd was astonished at the actors’ performances. Senior Ellie Shalla said, “I think everyone did an amazing job! To get in front of peers and sing and dance takes courage and talent, two qualities the cast certainly possessed.”

Singing, memorizing lines, and performing dance routines, the cast of the Putnam’s Spelling Bee was truly put to the test through practices and drama tech week. One who experienced this infamous “grueling” week of practicing until 9 PM was senior Libby Cunningham. She said, “The show overall was a complete success. A lot of hard work and time went into it, and in the end, I think it really showed. It was a small cast compared to the musical, but we all bonded and shared a wonderful experience we will never forget. A lot of talent was put out on that stage, and we gave it our all just for Ms. (Katie) Wilson because we owe her everything.”

The cast and crew pulled off four brilliant performances, which all were nearly sold out. Those who enjoyed watching or even participating in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, should be sure to support the second drama production of Broadway’s Hairspray, later this year.