CCHS Drama presents “A Salute to Disney” Cabaret

CCHS Drama presents A Salute to Disney Cabaret

Julia Way, Staff Writer

On Saturday, November 22, 2014, Cathedral’s Drama Department will present its first cabaret, A Salute to Disney. A cabaret is a form of entertainment where the audience, drinking or dining, sits at tables and listens to a lineup of performances. “A Salute to Disney” will feature performances from current CCHS students, as well as alumni.

Alumna Sami Nye and Kimberlee Holland, both of whom were involved in Cathedral’s drama program, will be joining current students in A Salute to Disney. Drama teacher Ms. Katie Wilson said, “Our brightest students and alumni will be performing some of your favorite Disney songs. People should expect to hear their favorite songs from Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Tangled…even some High School Musical, Camp Rock, and Hannah Montana!”

Cabarets like A Salute to Disney are “small-scale, low-budget musical revues” that Ms. Wilson hopes will raise money for the CCHS Drama Program. Ms. Wilson looks forward to producing more Cathedral Cabarets in hopes that A Salute to Disney will be the first in a series to give more students opportunities to perform.

“We have so many talented students, from freshmen to seniors, and this is a way that audiences will be able to hear some voices that they did not get to hear in the musical,” said Ms. Wilson.

Should Cathedral Cabaret become a series, audiences will be able to attend future cabarets presented in either the Guadalupe Center, the Rose Garden, or even in the quad. Future performances would feature Cathedral singers and instrumentalists and alumni presenting classical, musical theatre, and variety of musical pieces. Ms. Wilson hopes that students and audiences alike will support CCHS Drama’s effort to “provide more performance opportunities to show the kind of performers we are growing on this campus.”

A Salute to Disney is a one-night event on Saturday, November 22 at 6:30 PM. Tickets are available here for individual purchase or a family package.