Students lead charitable acts

Katie Dittamore, Assistant Entertainment Editor

Cathedral Catholic High School emphasizes often the importance of combatting homelessness, especially in this year’s Living in God’s House Together program.

However, students leading the charitable works is now on display by the new student leadership team. Alivia Lomax ‘21, a participant on the team, attended her first team meeting recently, and she immediately felt motivated to help.

“The first meeting we had really opened my eyes,” Lomax said. “We brainstormed ideas on how to help the school learn more about this issue, what we can do to help, and how we can apply it to this year’s LIGHT group theme.”

CCHS mission and ministry teachers recently created a new student leadership group to help raise awareness of the dangers of homelessness.

“At our first meeting, we got to know each other and our interests in the homelessness issue,” Dean of Mission and Ministry Mrs. Stacy Wells said. “We also brainstormed ideas for how CCHS can interact with our social justice theme of homelessness.”

The group has confirmed it will help with the Advent socks and blanket drive in December along with the Ash Wednesday event Homeless For A Night, where students spend the night at school to experience first-hand the effects on homelessness.

“There were many creative ideas shared, and our plan is to determine the feasibility of the ideas and choose what will work best moving forward,” Mrs. Wells said. “The group will be implementing a program for this year, including creating lessons for light group classes.”

The students involved in the program also will learn beneficial practical leadership skills through the development and implementation of the school homelessness interaction program, according to Mrs. Wells.

Along with brainstorms and discussions, students in the leadership team confronted what they can do to help and how to get everyone more involved in assisting the homeless around San Diego.

“I knew as soon as I got an informational email on it that I’d be interested,” Anthony Graf ‘22 said. “I’m all about helping our community out, and knowing our LIGHT group theme was on homelessness, I joined the group to help gain a better understanding on the subject.”

To correspond with the theme of homelessness focused on in this year’s LIGHT group, Mission and Ministry brought forth this student group to increase the involvement of the CCHS community.

“The Mission and Ministry team feels that the best way to engage with any social justice topic is through student involvement,” Mrs. Wells said. “We’ve found some of the most effective programs are those developed by students for students. It is an opportunity to be tangibly engaged in helping others.

“We hope it will be a rewarding experience for all, and we are very grateful for the students who are committed to this project.”