Spreading light at CCHS

Olivia Palombo, Assistant Multimedia Editor

Students seeking ways to help the community, give back to others, and continue to live a strong and devoted Catholic life can find their place with the Cathedral Catholic High School’s Living in God’s House Together program.

“LIGHT group has been used by Cathedral for more than 30 years and continues to create a community of awareness in our school,” CCHS Dean of Mission and Ministry Mrs. Stacy Wells said. “This year we are excited about some new changes.”

The LIGHT gives CCHS students an opportunity to give back to the community through corporal works of mercy. The on-campus program is run by Mrs. Wells and the assistant Dean of Mission and Ministry Mr. Nicholas Hurt.

Every CCHS student participates in a bi-monthly LIGHT group lesson taught by his or her red one teacher. This year, unlike years past, features a theme of helping the homeless.

“We have provided a student leadership team made up of 20 students who will be speaking about homelessness in LIGHT group lessons,” Mrs. Wells said. “We have already planned activities for the upcoming year to get students energized.”

Through the LIGHT program, CCHS students will be mentored and taught by fellow peers.

“This year, the program will become more student based,” Mrs. Wells said. “The student leaders will be the ones creating the videos sent out to the school during LIGHT group sessions.”

In previous years, students would donate tissues, baby diapers, canned foods, backpacks, and other items that many poor families needed, but could not afford. However, this year’s requested items will differ those of past years.

“We are going to be donating socks and blankets for the homeless along with our Advent drive and food drive coming up in November,” Mrs. Wells said. “All items donated will be delivered to Father Joe’s Villages and to the L.A. immersion trip, where students will work with the homeless on Skid Row.”

LIGHT group meetings hope to expose students to less fortunate communities and encourage a culture of giving back.

Any charitable action, big or small, helps support another community in need. These small actions come major positive changes, according to Mrs. Wells.

“At CCHS our main goal is to build community within each LIGHT group,” Mrs. Wells said.  “We also want to create awareness on homelessness and how we can help those less fortunate.

“Once students graduate, we are hoping they can make a positive change in the world.”