Dons Defeat Hornets, Saints next

Dons Defeat Hornets, Saints next

The Cathedral Catholic Varsity Dons football team scored another win last Friday, October 12th at Manchester Stadium when it defeated the Lincoln Hornets in a fast-paced game ending with a score of 29-21. This victory sets the Dons record at 5-2 as they look for another victory this Friday against St. Augustine.

With the energy and enthusiasm for which the Dons are so well-known, Cathedral took a solid lead at the outset of the game with back-to-back touchdowns, one of which was initiated with an interception by Michael Mulvihill. This exciting start put the Dons ahead with a score of 15-0. After Cathedral suffered a tough handful of plays from its opposition, the Hornets managed to break through Cathedral’s defense for a touchdown, resulting in a score of 15-7 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter rolled in with Dons  senior defensive back Parker Price returning a near 35-yard punt, making pronounced field progression for the team. Price’s yardage, coupled with Cathedral’s solid offensive plays, eventually led to another touchdown by running back Tony Johnson. Defensive back, Brandon Michel, later snagged an interception, confidently finishing the second quarter with the lead at 22-7.

An uneasy change in pace was evident in the third quarter, with the Lincoln Hornets sliding past the Dons to rack up an additional touchdown. The Dons soon countered as Tony Johnson’s scored again to make it 29-14. Johnson played an excellent game in particular, running a total of 171 yards and scoring three touchdowns.

A fairly uneventful fourth quarter wrapped up the game against the Hornets, despite their single touchdown for the only exchange of points in that quarter. After securing the win against Lincoln with a final result of 29-21 this past week, the Cathedral Catholic Dons look forward to dominating Fridays’ long-awaited Holy Bowl game against St. Augustine High at Mesa College.